Default OSX printer not working in Win 8.1 VM

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Hustiniano, May 5, 2014.

1. Hustiniano

Hustiniano Bit poster

My default printer on OSX Mavericks is an HP 1320N laser printer connected via ethernet to my home network. In OSX the printer works well and the settings are set to share this printer on the network.

I have a virtual machine running Windows XP and the printing works fine from that to my 1320 printer

As XP is no longer supported I have just created a new virtual machine and installed Windows 8.1
    From the devices and printers option on Win 8.1 I can see that the HP1320 is listed as the default printer. If I try to print a test page, the test page is sent to windows and the icon for the HP1320 print queue appears briefly on the dock, and then disappears - but nothing is printed. if I go to the print queue, it says the printer cannot be found

On deeper investigation I see the properties dialog of the 1320 printer in windows says that the ringer model is an HP colour laser jet 2820 AiO PS Class driver - which is clearly not correct.

In the virtual machine I have set the network adapter to be bridged network (default connection) as per the articles in your KB area. But still no working printer

If I try to add a new printer from within windows, VM it does not find it

Please help

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  2. Manojkumar@Parallels

Manojkumar@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi Hustiniano,

Please check your private message for the troubleshooting steps.

3. wbtrans

wbtrans Bit poster

Hi Manoi

I have the same problem since I upgraded to Win 8.1.1.
    My printer is a HP Officejet Pro X576dw, connected via AirPlay. It works fine in OSX.
    If I share it in the VM, it is configured with the correct printer name in the Win 8.1 VM, but uses the printer driver of an HP Laserjet 2820 AIO and the settings are incorrect. The printer for example always prints in landscape, regardless of the options set.
    As a workaround, I disabled the option to share the OSX printer and added the printer as a TCP/IP printer directly in the Win 8.1 VM and this works correctly.

How can I solve this problem?

Regards
    Walter

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

You don't have any problem, it's working perfectly.
    Isn't it working correctly now on both OSes? You only need printer sharing for connecting USB printers so you don't have to disconnect from the host to connect to the Guest, the downside is that the printer has to be emulated using a generic printer driver (the laserjet). For a network printer it's much better to use it like you are using it, and you can use it directly with its drivers.