Bridged Network Question

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by NEIL REIFF, May 6, 2014.

1. NEIL REIFF

NEIL REIFF Member

Bridged Networking – uses your network adapter. You should choose this mode if you want to access the VM from the external network. Please keep in mind that your network configuration should allow using DHCP to assign IP address for the VM, or you should obtain a static IP for the VM and set it in the guest OS.

Can someone please tell me how to do this??

Thank you in advance.
    Neil

2. mavidal

mavidal Product Expert

Neil:

DHCP and static IP are controlled in the "lan adapter" of your virtual machine. Windows by default will use DHCP as will Linux. If you could tell me what guest OS you are using, I could give you a more concrete way of doing this since the each OS has a slightly different way of allowing you to set the IP address. What you do need to make sure is your router is using DHCP to dole out addresses to the connected devices. Most off the shelf routers are already configured this way.

Mike V.

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  3. NEIL REIFF

NEIL REIFF Member

Mark,
    Thank you for your reply. I am using Win7. If I understand you correctly, my default settings would be correct for this. I asked the question because I have pretty much given up on the idea of using bridged networking because my VM loses the connection to my database which is hosted on a networked PC (XP). I thought perhaps this might be a "fix".

4. mavidal

mavidal Product Expert

Hi Neil:

Sorry for the delay but was not aware you had replied to my reply to you. Ok, since you are using win 7, what you need to do is the following:

In the configuration of the VM, in hardware/network, set the adapter to default adapter. This will let the vm use the ip address that your router generates.

In the win 7 vm itself once it is running, right click on the little computer terminal over by the clock, select open network and sharing center

In the network and sharing center screen, click on the connection where the interface name is underlined (i.e.: Local Area Connection) A new window will open

In the new windows click on the details button, this will open a new window and show the address assigned to you're VM. It should be within the range that your router is using (i.e. 192.168.X.X). If you want to set your VM to a static IP, click on the button in the previous window that says properties, then double click on the line that says internet protocol version 4 (TVP/IPv4) and set the static IP address you want in the next window that opens.

Mike Vidal

Last edited: May 15, 2014