Wireless Printing/MacBook Pro/WinXP/HP Printer

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by easum, Jun 29, 2007.

1. easum

easum Bit poster

Hi all: I've searched but didn't see any threads that covered this topic and I may have it in the wrong forum so please forgive me.

Question: I have Parallels installed on a MacBook pro and have my HP printer physically attached to the Airport Base Station so I can print wirelessly. When I go into WinXP to set up a Printer my choices all appear to be for a printer attached directly to my laptop. Is there a way to set up a wireless printer to print directly from Parallels or do I have to move everything over to the Mac O/S and print it from there?

Thanks for any and all advice.

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

The way you have it is an excellent way to do printing with multiple OS clients (virtual machines). By streaming all jobs through OS X you are assured printer drivers in both environments will behave and not try to hit the printer at the same time with conflicting commands and or print jobs.

3. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

You need to go to Apple.com and download/install Bonjour for Windows. After doing this you should see your Airport Printer.

4. mmiller99

mmiller99 Bit poster

Wireless Printing

what happens if your printer is not a bonjour compatible printer? how do you get the printer to work..i have a new HP printer and scanner and it will not work w/ bonjour..when i called apple they said that bonjour was not compatible with the printer...? so now what?

5. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Use CUPS in OS X (http://localhost:631) to create a raw printer. Share it out. In Windows install the drivers for your printer and attach to the raw printer by URL or try Bonjour again.

Don't forget to complain like hell to HP for not properly supporting your printer in OS X. I just bought a 3-in-1 HP printer with wireless interface and it works great in both OS X and Windows, FWIW.

6. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

HP is clueless about their printers connected to OSX through printservers. When I called on a similar issue, they had no clue, but they offered me their paid support, which they said could support multiple vendors. I had to buy 90 minutes of time. When I called the paid support, they said they had no clue. After another few hours of working on my own, I figured out how to attach my HP to a Linksys Printserver and have it recognized by OSX.

Bonjour should work for you. Try it. Bonjour doesn't care what kind of printer it is, as long as it is supported on OSX. When Bonjour prompts you for a driver, unless you see your driver there, select "Generic Postscript" as your driver.

If it does not, the CUPS solution mentioned above should work great.

7. mediarite

mediarite Bit poster

I have the exact same setup and a similar problem getting my HP printer to work from within Windows. Bonjour recognizes it and appears to set it up, but it won't print. I've been messing with it for months. Frustrating.

8. kat

kat Product Expert

Thank you, Purplish

I think you answered why my printer isn't working. I had given up on it.

9. Platinum Samples

Platinum Samples Member

FWIW the HP C6180 with wireless built-in works perfectly with OS X, XP and parallels.

Rail