new user looking for advice / resources

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by oopsdy, Jul 14, 2007.

1. oopsdy

oopsdy Bit poster

Hi all: I will be receiving my new Mac Book Pro next week and it will have Parallels (2?) and Windows xp pro pre-installed.
    I'm a long time PC user that has dabbled with Macs off and on for years. I'm still new to OS 10, and the recent death of my home Dell laptop sent me back to Mac.

The new MBP laptop's got a 2.2GHZ processor with 2GB RAM and 120 MB of storage.

I need to be running PC based Autocad and 3D Studio, and intend to use OS 10x for all other programs (graphics, word processing, music, etc). I'm not a gamer, but I do watch some video/online tv...

What's the best resource for me to learn what the heck I'm getting myself into?

Hard drive partitioning?
    Virtual Memory?
    ETC...

it all sounds familiar and completely intimidating.

Any reccomendations will be greatly appreciated!!!!

C.
    :eek: :confused: :eek:

2. kat

kat Product Expert

3. w7ox

w7ox Hunter

If Parallels is aready installed the size and format of the Windows partition will have already be decided for you. Hopefully it will be large enough for the software you have in mind running.

If Parallels 2 it comes with an Image Tool which can be used to increase the size of the VM disk: I ended up going from 10 GB to 30 GB on a 120 GB hard drive because I deal with some large video files at times (normally I have 22 GB free in WinXP).

If Parallels 3, resizing the hdd for Win is more problematical, since PD 3 does not include the Image Tool or anythings else with that functionality. There are workarounds, I've read, but they sound "tedious".

Best is to assume you will have problems and when you do, ask questions here. Parallels support is "slow" -- likely because they are working hard to fix the known issues in PD 3 -- but the users here can be very helpful. If you have zero problems (I've had none with v. 2 or v.3 .. except a couple of my own making) count yourself lucky ;-)

Phil

4. w7ox

w7ox Hunter

5. w7ox

w7ox Hunter

6. kat

kat Product Expert

Hi C.

When you pick up your new Mac Book Pro have the apple tech show you where to find the user manual for the copy of parallels they installed. They may also give you a hard copy of the Manual, it depends on whether you purchased a boxed copy or not. Or, they may have installed a downloaded 3.0 updated copy for you. Its a great program! Enjoy using it, and remember just like w7ox said the forum is always here.

kat

7. oopsdy

oopsdy Bit poster

Thank you ALL!

I will take your advice and will check these forums frequently (or not, if I am lucky!)

Sincerely,
    C.

8. Jack Dumphy

Jack Dumphy Member

Perhaps the best use of Paralles is just to run apps that don't exist on the Mac.
    Why should I run videos on Paralles, when they run nativ on the other side ?
    Why should I risk to connect to the internet by Windows when it is possible "next door" on the same computer without risks ?
    etc.

I am happy with Parallels and the few apps, I need on XP.

9. itsdapead

itsdapead Hunter

However, you can always add a second "virtual" hd to your VM if you need more space for large documents etc. Since Windows typically slows to a crawl and needs re-installing every 10 months or so I usually keep all my data files on a separate drive/partition anyway - there's an option to re-locate "My Documents" to a different drive.

10. itsdapead

itsdapead Hunter

First thing to do is check that those programs actually work (usably) in Parallels 2 and/or 3 - I don't know, so you should go post a separate "Anybody sucessfully used Autocad or 3D Studio" question.

3D is still very much a problem area - Parallels 2 doesn't do any hardware 3D support. Parallels 3 works with *some* 3D software.

Worst-case scenario is that you'll have to use BootCamp instead of Parallels, which means re-booting to switch between Windows and OS X.

If you are planning to migrate to Mac-friendly 3D and CAD packages - or only need these occational for testing or reading old files - then Parallels and/or boot camp may be a good transitional solution but if Autocad and 3D Studio work pays your mortgage, and this choice of software is out of your control, then I'm afraid you should probably have stuck with a PC.

11. oopsdy

oopsdy Bit poster

I had a quick consult with an IT guy and a colleague who both supported the idea of the switch to Mac...I will confirm that AutoCad and 3D Max (windows based) run with Parallels...

Thank you for the more-than-sound advice!
    C.