Unable to boot guest OSX after installing latest iTunes update (hangs on grey screen)

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by rcstevensonaz, May 22, 2014.

1. rcstevensonaz

rcstevensonaz Junior Member

Last night I applied the latest iTunes update and allowed the guest OSX to reboot. But, it is no longer able to boot — hangs on the grey screen and the spinner is frozen.

Is there a guide on best course to figure out why it is hanging and/or undo latest change from the Mac installer?

[EDIT: It looks like this was an update of both iTunes but also the 10.9.3 update. Most likely, issue is the video driver in 10.9.3 based on other postings]

Comment: Parallels evidently knows about this issue... which means they have some of the worst customer communications that I have seen in a company. To know your client's who depend on your tool are failing (and flailing) and not proactively communicating is appalling. Moreover, to leave the best proposed to solution to migrate to VMWare's product without any communication that you are working on the issue does not seem wise.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  2. rcstevensonaz

Dear Parallels. I am once again underwhelmed by the level of support for your customers.

3. JJFromYYC

JJFromYYC Bit poster

Can you try the workaround steps in the thread titled " Guest OSX Won't Boot after Installation of Parallels Tools " ?

The symptoms you describe sound similar to what's going on in that thread.

4. VeryVito

VeryVito Bit poster

Yeah... I can ALMOST understand being caught offguard when 10.9.3 was released (although it WAS in beta for quite some time beforehand, and I'd assume Parallels would have tested it by the time it was released), but it's been out for two weeks now, and the only "fix" (as JJFromYYC mentions above) is to delete Parallels' own video drivers from the virtual machine -- leaving us with a whopping 1024x768 screen resolution á là 1998.

The silence is pretty deafening, though.

5. rcstevensonaz

The cone of silence remains well intact. Far be it from Parallels to provide any information to their customers...