Cannot Access OS X files from VP

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Joelist, May 4, 2006.

1. Joelist

Joelist Bit poster

Guest is XP Pro SP2, Host is OS X 10.4.5.

I have tried the mechanisms provided in Parallels and also tried a method suggested in another thread about setting up a way to share files between Guest and host. Nothing has worked.

Parallels built in mechanism causes Explorer (in XP) to crash with a memory address error message. The other ways founder when the OS X share does not appear anywhere in XP when searching for shares to connect to.

As is, Parallels is useless because of this. Please help.

Joel

2. Djoh

Djoh Member

Set up windows/Mac shared folder via Networking

I have been sharing files betwwen Mac/PC via a network share. This is easliy done by using:

Sharepoints
    http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/8658

In Sharepoints, under "Normal Shares" Select the folder first (Browse button), choose all the options for it (Like "Allow Windows Guest" and "Windows SMB Sharing: YES") and THEN hit "Add Share"

Then in SMB Properties take note of/change the Workgroup to make sure you're in the same group as your Virtual PC's connection.

Enable "Windows File Sharing" in Mac OS::System Prefs::Sharing. (If you enabled Guest access via SharePoints as suggested above, don't even worry about the "No users selected" warning Mac OS System Prefs gives you)

Has worked numerous times on 2 computers for me, hopefully you find it as easy. I have one folder that's just for transferring stuff between the two OS's.

Last edited: May 5, 2006
  3. Joelist

Joelist Bit poster

Hi,

I have done this, and can now see the files. However, they are read-only no matter how I configure the shared folder in Sharepoints. Am I missing something?

Joel

4. meatsoda

meatsoda Bit poster

Read-only or Can't Find Doc name or path...

I can see files in the shared folder, but get the following error trying to launch any Office document:

"The document name or path is not valid.
    Try one or more of the following:
    *Check the path to make sure it was typed correctly,
    "On the File menu, click Open, Seach for the file using this dialogue box.​

Neither of those options work. :(

5. pokydoc

pokydoc Bit poster

Sharepoints is working fine for me. I can both read and write. Thanks for the tip, I have been relying on Streamload.com, which works OK too.