Copy / Paste = Beachball ... also optimal memory settings

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Jer, May 5, 2006.

1. Jer

Jer Bit poster

So I do allot of copy and paste within Dreamweaver 8 (host is xp pro)

And after a while I end up getting the spinning beachball, which, if I wait a few minutes (sometimes as little as 10 seconds) goes away.

I am assuming this has to do with memory management and copying and pasting to the clipboard, but I'm no expert.

On the memory issue .....

I have a MBPro with 1.5 GB of RAM, what is the optimal memory settings for Parellels and for the VM?

2. Jer

Jer Bit poster

I should note that I am also still running the ver 5 of the tools because network was not reliable with the 6 tools.

And when it gets like this drag highlighting the mouse also causes the beachball.

Keep up the good work, great product you got going here !

3. celendis

celendis Junior Member

I have good performance in my iMac with 2G of RAM with setting the VM to 768M. I'd wager that 600ish would be a good setting for your vm. If you want to be all 'on the 32s', you could set it to 640MB and see how that performs, in both Windows and OS X.

OS X is pretty advanced, just watch the 'page outs' in Activity Monitor (system memory tab). If they start climbing very rapidly during relatively normal use, try some different memory settings. Of course the page outs will always rise when using PW, but I don't recommend a setting that has them leaping up by hundreds whenever you do something in OS X. =)

Of course, if the system still seems usable, then ignore what I say and just use the system how you want. =)