Parallels Desktop 9 and Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite (as a guest OS) compatibility

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Andrew@Parallels, Jun 3, 2014.

1. rlhamil

rlhamil Junior Member

While complaining will seldom alter reality, ever since Apple allowed virtualizing OS X on Apple hardware, the obvious choice for doing so was Parallels, since it's a major battle to use that other free (and partially open-source) hypervisor app to do OS X on OS X (although I have yet to get Solaris to work under Parallels). Given that situation, it seems that insofar as Apple wishes to allow either paid-up developer program members or the general public access to pre-release versions, it would be useful if Apple and Parallels could reach some agreement on what information was necessary to allow virtualizing a pre-release successfully. That would have two advantages: (1) expanding the beta tester base beyond those who had a spare sufficiently current box to run it on (or a spare boot disk and were willing to have their usual environment down for alternate boot); and (2) enabling Parallels to be ready to support the actual release as a guest from day 1 (and hopefully more quickly as a host, too). So such an arrangement would benefit both Apple and Parallels, not to mention the end user, whether using Parallels more or less operationally (i.e. after public release of the new OS X version), or using it to build advance familiarity with the new release, update their apps for the new release, etc.

Even if complaining solves nothing, the frustration that something obvious apparently hasn't happened is IMO understandable.

2. JasonBeee

JasonBeee Bit poster

I think you have some of us confused with general consumers of the software. My environment supports one of the world's largest municipalities, so we expect some virtualization options to simple work even on beta release, given our roles is also as a software developer.

The work we do is governed by legislation that requires us to test for accessibility reasons. When consumers get *their* copy of macOS 10.10 we must also be ready. That takes 3-6 months...subtracting 6 months from a November release date gives you this week. That's the fastest we can respond to testing requirements, and given Apple delivers the OS on new hardware from day 1 of release it means we often have to test BEFORE public release. The public will expect our services to be tested against Yosemite when they start installing the "new and shiny" and the excuse proffered above won't fly in that venue.

Parallels does not have to give us a concrete date but we do want some idea as to when, as our own planning goes in quarterly chunks. When a change is announced, we pounce because the clock is ticking. We have two quarters to get our testing done.

For those that are talking about running parallels ON Yosemite, well that just ridiculous. Noone expect that. I just want the OS to run inside the VM, which is the whole point of using a VM.

I hope you understand where some of the product users here are coming from...parallels is in my mind a superior VM Host on the desktop. Thus they can handle the slight harassment and pressure.

Ciao!

3. bobbyt

bobbyt Hunter

Try coupling this with the fact that Parallels still doesn't fully support Mavericks 10.9.3 either, which has been out for a few weeks now...

4. Gardnerv

Gardnerv Bit poster

Hi Takuro (and others I'm sure),

Speaking for myself, i don't see the entitlement, rather i suspect a number of these folks are developers like me. Or at least a few are.

Developers that will be called on in a few short weeks to have versions of their product tested, possibly changed, and in the app store or their own store to be ready for Yosemite's launch.

Some developers are large and the cost of dedicated hardware for testing is in their dev budget. Others, like me, rely on cutting corners wherever we can to keep our costs in line while still developing for our favorite platform, OSX.

For those of us that have to choose between buying new hardware, running beta OS on our main Macs, and not being ready at launch, knowing Parallel's roadmap is vital to understand our options and making wise decisions.

So I think asking for a timeline, so we can know if we need to spend a thousand dollars on a new device doesn't seem that outrageous. Just knowing that it might be here in days, or that we are in for several weeks before support is important information for some of us.

If we are going to be waiting weeks, then knowing that now lets us buy hardware now, not in a month, and might make the different between being ready at launch and not.

Parallel's software occupies a critical place in the Mac development ecosystem. Its the ability to run beta operating systems that lets many developers be there to support the Mac on day one of a new release.

So rather than think of it as developers feeling entitled, I prefer to think of it as acknowledging the key position Parallels holds in the Mac development ecosystem. Quite a compliment to Parallels actually.

- Gardner

5. chriso1515

chriso1515 Bit poster

6. cchighman

cchighman Bit poster

I just installed Yosemite 10.10 on my Macbook Pro Retina, just upgrade, and Parallels is crashing Yosemite shortly after logging into the Windows 8.1 guest OS. Very annoying. Coherence or modularity didn't matter. Hopefully they fix this soon. Any workarounds?

7. jebworks

jebworks Member

I really don't know why people seem to consistently confuse two issues: 1) running Yosemite beta as a virtual machine while running the present Mac OS 10.9.3 version and 2) running Parallels 9 on the Yosemite beta version. Those are two totally different questions. On the first ken I would expect this to be possible soon to test the beta version and what could be run on it. For the second I have no problem waiting until Yosemite is officially launched in autumn. Can folks please keep these posts separate to avoid this confusion! It woukd really help the discussion

8. Sameer_uk

Sameer_uk Bit poster

This worked for me - switch off hypervisor, switch off retina display, DO TURN OFF the parallels agent (this kills core Yosemite performance to a crawl). Then it should work.

9. patwoods

patwoods Bit poster

Working fine for me under 10.10 DP1 but without Coherence mode or shared folders. Have to use a network share to move docs between Mac/PC.

10. ShivaR

ShivaR Bit poster

11. Shane Gore

Shane Gore Junior Member

I don't mind paying for an upgrade, but Parallels' upgrades are really expensive just to get the current OS working. Only $20 off for an upgrade - most companies in my experience have more reasonable upgrade offers.

Today I noticed that the upgrade (for me v. 7 - 9) was on sale. Stupid me, I bought it and then realized shortly afterwards that they would probably charge for an upgrade to get Yosemite to work when it comes out this fall (maybe that's why it's on sale right now). However I'm hoping there is a grace period for recent buyers. I'll be pissed if I have to upgrade again and pay $50 USD.

I sent a message to them asking if I'm going to have to upgrade again to get 10.10 working. Hopefully not. :(

12. JulioC

JulioC Bit poster

Can anyone confirm how's Parallels behaving with Yosemite? I know this thread talks about installing Yosemite *inside* Parallels, but I currently need to test Yosemite as *native* and also need my VMs working correctly. Today a new Developer Preview was released btw.

13. Arnauddt

Arnauddt Bit poster

Chiming in because, as I totally understand Parallels hasn't updated their soft yet, as a dev I'd like another way that dual boot with Mavericks and Yosemite to quickly test my stuff. So I'm trying to install on Parallels: got a fresh new Mavericks install from recovery partition then I tried to install DP1 (not tried DP2 yet), the VM reboots and always go to this black page. I can't do anything, hitting boot won't do anything.
    Ideas?
    Thanks

Screen Shot 2014-06-18 at 10.45.42.png

14. BGaynor

BGaynor Junior Member

That's pretty much where all of us are right now, sitting on our hands waiting. Sigh.

15. Arnauddt

Arnauddt Bit poster

Some said on the first page they were able to install it though so there must be specific VM settings which work I guess.

16. BGaynor

BGaynor Junior Member

I think if you look the few that got it to run got it to do so very poorly (basically unusable).

17. Shane Gore

Shane Gore Junior Member

I just heard back from Parallels regarding my recent purchase of Parallels 9 and whether or not I would have to pay again for an upgrade to make it work with Yosemite.

Unfortunately they skirted around the issue and didn't answer my question directly. So my advice to anyone looking to upgrade or purchase Parallels now, WAIT OR YOU MIGHT HAVE TO PAY AN EXTRA $50 to make it work with Yosemite.

Lame.

18. Minicooper

Minicooper Bit poster

Some beta Parallels 9

Its possible to download some Parallels 9 Beta for testing under OS X Yosemite?

19. JakobH

JakobH Bit poster

Some described problems with yosemite as a host.

Try setting hardware acceleration to DX9 with your windows guest - worked for me. If that does not work disable it entirely.

20. JonRosen

JonRosen Bit poster

It has been nearly three weeks and we still don't have an answer from Parallels.