New VM won't Install Mavericks from Recovery Partition

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by scassoc, Jun 6, 2014.

1. scassoc

scassoc Bit poster

New iMac running Mavericks (10.9.3) and have Parallels Build 9.0.24229 installed with a couple of Windows VMs running ok.

Trying to create a new VM running Mavericks so following http://kb.parallels.com/en/118806

In the Parallels Wizard I choose "Install OS X Mavericks Using the Recovery partition", then click Continue. The VM is created and starts but then I get the warning saying there is no operating system installed

error.png

How do I get Mavericks to install as the guest OS please?

2. vsh1ny

vsh1ny Bit poster

Same here on OS X 10.9.3 with latest Parallels Desktop 9. I click Install OS X Mavericks using Recovery Partition and… "no operating system installed".

Installing from USB works just fine.

3. Maheesh@Parallels

Maheesh@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi All,

Could you please tell us if your new Mac computer came with Mac OS X 10.9.3 by default or did you update your Mac OS X to 10.9.3 from

Mac OS X 10.9.1 or 10.9.2 after purchasing it, so that we could check.

4. vsh1ny

vsh1ny Bit poster

Hi,

The machine is iMac 27", Late 2012, which obviously has been updated several times. It was shipped with OS X 10.8 installed if that matters.

Oh, by the way, installing OS X as guest from recovery partition using… other virtualization software, so to speak, works flawlessly.

5. scassoc

scassoc Bit poster

It is a 2014 27" iMac with a 3TB Fusion Drive - it came with OSX 10.9.1 by default and I have applied the 10.9.2 and 10.9.3 updates.

The Recovery Partition does exist

diskutil_list.png

and I can boot into using Command-R at start up.However when I hold the Option key at start up I am only presented with 1 disk "Mackintosh HD" to choose from.

Regards,
    Simon

6. scassoc

scassoc Bit poster

Any suggestions please Support?

7. scassoc

scassoc Bit poster

Maheesh? Anyone from Parallels? Some help here please would be appreciated.

8. JonRosen

JonRosen Bit poster

I'm having the same problem. The *only* reason I upgraded to Parallels 9 was to install Mavericks as a guest OS, and it doesn't work.

9. Maheesh@Parallels

Maheesh@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi All,

Please generate a Problem Report ID as suggested http://kb.parallels.com/9058 and reply us back with the Problem Report ID number

so that it would be helpful for us to investigate on this issue.

10. mcomer

mcomer Bit poster

I have the same problem and have created the Problem Report ID: 46023379

I am unable to create a new guest OS X VM from the 10.9.3 recovery partition and have tried multiple times.

11. mcomer

mcomer Bit poster

Parallels going out of business?

I wonder if Parallels is going out of business? They don't respond to emails, problem reports filed with their own tool, posts on their forums, etc. They can't get their product working with 10.9.3, and now 10.9.4 is out. They can't get developers up and running with 10.10 as a guest, which is a perfectly reasonable thing to do so that devs can get all of their software ready for the upcoming public beta and release. Parallels seems to really be losing it - unresponsive to their customers, out of date on their product. What more can you say?

12. jmcdowall

jmcdowall Bit poster

I have the same problem. Late 2012 iMac with fusion drive.

I've also tried using disk images, and creating bootable media (which I've confirmed does boot, by actually using it to startup the installation process on the host machine). Neither work on Paralllels.

The support is so poor, it's unbelievable. So confusing and badly designed, almost like it's designed to keep you from getting support. I've created problem report IDs, tried responding to tickets, but all that happens is that you sent to some garbage knowledge base article, or get told to generate a problem ID (which I've done several times).