DirectX9 has to be installed?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by rofus, Jun 27, 2007.

1. rofus

rofus Bit poster

Hi all,

I bought since a week my new MBP and I'm just trying now the new Parallels!
    I installed XP PRO SP2 and enabled in the VM the DirectX support.

I tried then a game (Midtown Madness 2) and I see all plans black, without
    textures, except from car and skies.

I have to install the DirectX 9 drivers from Microsoft website or are they already
    installed with Parallels Tools? Can I obtain some performance improvement
    installing DirectX from MS, and in case what version/link?

I'm curious also to know if someone is using parallels for audio-intensive apps..
    I think DirectX should provide also a faster driver (DirectX sound or DirectSound?)
    to acces the audio interface, right?

Thanks,

R

2. VTMac

VTMac Pro

Parallels 3.0 only supports Direct X 8.1. Direct X 9 will not work and applications that rely on it will not work.

3. rofus

rofus Bit poster

Thanks for your note. But I have to download the directX8 installation from MS website or all is just included/installed in Parallels Desktop?

Thanks,

R

4. ksignorini

ksignorini Member

Along these same lines...

How about now that Parallels 3.0 is supporting DirectX9? (says so on the 3D page)

Do I have to download and install DirectX9 from Microsoft or will it install itself when I re-install Parallels using the latest build?

And if I do just download and install the latest build, I assume my current virtual machines are upgraded, or do I have to re-install the Parallels Tools?

Thanks,
    Kent!

5. ewestby

ewestby Member

This last question I can answer: when I first booted into WinXP using the new build, Parallels Desktop automatically detected that the Parallels Tools were out of date and ran the Windows-based installer.

6. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

There is a new update off parallels from today. It will support directx 9.

When directx 9 isn't installed on your copie off windows you should download it first (but normally it is...)

7. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Guys,

DirectX 9 is not supported yet. We have now DirectX 8.1 support and working hard on DirectX 9, but it is still not ready yet. It will be added into upcoming free updates for 3.0 version.