MAC OS 10.9.3 upgrade will lot let parallels now work

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by briannmcg, Jun 12, 2014.

1. briannmcg

briannmcg Bit poster

I upgraded my mac to 10.9.3 this week and now I can not log in to my parallels desktop to access info on my VM, Do I pay 49.99 to upgrade or what?? Will I loose all my stuff saved on my VM? Please help
    Thanks

2. Maheesh@Parallels

Maheesh@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hello briannmcg,

Parallels Desktop 8 and Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac are compatible with Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks

If you are running Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac, please make sure that you are running the latest build of Parallels Desktop 8 ( http://kb.parallels.com/111603 )

If you are running Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac, you can purchase the upgrade version of Parallels Desktop 9 http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/ and

once after installing Parallels Desktop 9 you will be able to access your Virtual Machine.

NOTE: After upgrading to Parallels Desktop 9 you do not need to re-install Windows or create a new Virtual Machine.

You can successfully use your existing Virtual machine.

IMPORTANT: Upgrades are possible for Parallels Desktop 7 and above.

If your previous version key is for Parallels Desktop 6 or an earlier version, please visit the Parallels Online Store to purchase a full license for

Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac

3. TJL561

TJL561 Bit poster

I'm sorry but I must disagree strongly. Creating an OSX VM from a 10.9.3 recovery partition followed by an installation of parallels tools most certainly does not work. Not the first time I tried it nor the third and last time (yes you can call me insane for that). The initial creation works, but is limited to a very low screen resolution. Installing the tools (which is supposed to give access to other resolutions) results in a VM that hangs on boot every time.

It is slightly disturbing that Parallels support seems to be unaware of this issue. It is most likely the retina support that was added in 10.9.3, but unfortunately that is all I have access to.

4. rmattern

rmattern Member

Neither Parallels Desktop 8 ! OS X doesn't boot anymore, after upgrade (10.9.3).

5. BGaynor

BGaynor Junior Member

It looks like 10.9.4 is getting close to release so I guess the good news is that getting 10.9.3 running will soon be less of an urgent problem.

6. rmattern

rmattern Member

If you can't run 10.9.3 in a Parallels VM how can you upgrade to 10.9.4 ?? It's a Parallels Desktop problem.

7. StevenG7

StevenG7 Bit poster

No. 10.9.3 added support for 4K displays and that's what seemed to have broken Parallels. When 10.9.3 is about to launch the GUI, it probes the video drivers to see if they support the new resolutions and the Parallel Tools video driver doesn't correctly handle this new call and hangs.

Since this 4K support will be in all versions of OSX from 10.9.3 onward (including 10.10), the 10.9.4 update won't fix it since it's not broken from the Apple side.

Parallels is reportedly now beta-testing Version 10 of Parallels Desktop (which of course will be a paid update). Since it's pretty clear what the problem is with 10.9.3 onwards, and Parallels doesn't seem to want to fix it in the current version of Parallels Desktop, I'll bet they're intentionally holding off on the fix so they can tell customers "Buy the new Parallels Desktop 10 -- now with OSX 10.10 (Yosemite) support!".
    Of course, the new version will also fix the issue with 10.9.3/20.9.4.

8. Zenkimoto

Zenkimoto Junior Member

That would be disappointing (and not surprising) if they choose not to fix Parallels Desktop 9 for the 4K display issue so people can get the "fix" with Parallels Desktop 10. I don't know if I can keep paying for Parallels for this type of support... It's been over a month and users still haven't gotten a patch!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  9. PatrixL

PatrixL Bit poster

Thanks for this. I'm in my 14 day trial for Parallels Desktop 9, and I really really need OS X Mavericks guest support (and later on Yosemite). This issue will keep me from paying for Parallels until fixed, however. Good to know I'm not the only one who experienced it.