Guest has no DNS in Shared/NAT mode

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by madsteer, Jul 14, 2007.

1. madsteer

madsteer Bit poster

If I set my Windows XP guest to use the shared networking mode for networking (which Parallels recommends), I don't get any DNS settings. I get an IP address and I can reach networks for which I know the IP address of, but if I try to do anything internet related that requires DNS lookups, it fails. My Mac has good DNS settings from the DHCP server. Shouldn't it pass that information on to the guest?

BTW, I'm running Parallesls Desktop 3.0 for Mac.

Thanks,

2. adtjd

adtjd Bit poster

DNS-Problem

Hello, I had the same problem. Somehow while switching the network settings, paralles had filled in a DNS-server setting in my Windows client system.
    After checking the "obtain DNS server address automatically" in the TCP/IP-settings of the network adapter everything worked fine.
    HTH, Albr.

3. madsteer

madsteer Bit poster

Well, that wasn't my problem, but after I switched back from bridged mode to shared mode, it was OK. So, unless it comes back, I'll chalk up as a fluke.

Thanks, for the reply.

4. cgervais

cgervais Bit poster

Madsteer, I'm seeing this exact same problem and it's preventing my Win XP VM from seeing our corporate domain. This worked fine in Parallels 2.5 so I have no idea why they changed the functionality as it's basically caused me to have an entirely useless virtualization solution. I cannot used the Bridged Networking option as our network engineering department will see two IP addresses on one port and assume that I'm running a rouge wireless access point and shut me down. Sigh.

5. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

You need to manually add your corporate DNS servers to your Windows NameServer list. There is no way the VPN or DHCP can do this for you.

6. madsteer

madsteer Bit poster

My setup is pretty simple. My Mac gets all it's information via DHCP, including DNS servers. In shared networking mode, I was expecting Paralles to hand my windows VM some type of DNS information along with the rest of the networking information Parallels gave the VM (which it is now).

So, I'm not sure exactly what cgervais is expecting. I wasn't getting ANY value for DNS, but am now. cgervais, are you getting a value for DNS, but expecting something else? If I read the response correctly, I think dkp's assuming your VM is getting something, but you specifically want your domain's real DNS servers. In shared networking mode, my VM doesn't get a real DNS server name, it get's a virtual one. This is what I want. Is this what cgervais wants?

7. sriggins

sriggins Junior Member

This is happening to me now as well. No DNS. I don't even have an IP. But it WAS working last week.

8. DavidMLewis

DavidMLewis Member

Is it possible to add DNS servers to a list that Windows will use? If so, how? I can modify the TCP/IP Properties of the Windows network interface to manually specify the DNS servers, but if I do that with my corporate servers, then the Windows VM won't be able to look up any addresses if the VPN isn't connected.

9. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

add some more, when corporate are not available Windows check another DNS server in list