Parallels Desktop 9 - July 2 Update - Yosemite?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by OzricTentacle, Jul 7, 2014.

1. OzricTentacle

OzricTentacle Bit poster

Hi all, first post!

New to the Mac world and enjoying my company rMBP. Need Parallels for majority of work, but am also am a bit of a "crack flasher" (Android FTW!), so was wondering if anyone has tried the July 2nd update on Yosemite with Yosemite being the HOST and Windows being the GUEST.

2. spicydonuts

spicydonuts Bit poster

I've been on Yosemite and updated to the July 2 version yesterday.

Before update: all working great except for kernel panics -- some days none, other days every hour

After update: Coherence Dock icons stopped working, KERNEL PANICS SAME OR WORSE

I've been submitting each crash report. Tried to downgrade to the last version but I can't find it anywhere.
    I also gave VMware Fusion a try, no kernel panics but it STILL doesn't work well with retina.........

Still had occasional kernel panics before Yosemite, but it's much much worse now. About to start bootcamping : /

P.S. To the Parallels team: Please stop the versioning nonsense for your own sanity. Release one always up-to-date product, maintain that, charge a yearly fee, and make upgrades free. There are still posts here for Parallels 6. How can you ever hope to work on 9 or 10 when half your users need support for out of date software. There's a reason Apple charges a lot for the machines and releases OS updates for free. You'd leap ahead of VMware with a single dedicated team.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  3. OzricTentacle

OzricTentacle Bit poster

I had similar issues. Install went fine and the VM started up no problem, but when maximising Windows windows or switching between Coherence and Full Screen I'd get the same kernel panics.

Submitted one crash report and decided to call it. Went back to a Time Machine backup prior to Yosemite and then discovered my VM hadn't been backed up in a while (didn't have SmartGuard turned on!). Luckily my files are also synced to OneDrive, so all was good.

Will likely try again when a new Parallels is released.

4. spicydonuts

spicydonuts Bit poster

Going to give it a little bit more time. I've turned off every feature I don't use and am experimenting with different hardware virtualization settings. I'll update if it seems any better. Be nice to hear from the Parallels devs if they recommend trying any specific settings.

5. Maheesh@Parallels

Maheesh@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi all,

Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite is now supported with Parallels Desktop 9. Please download and install the latest update for Parallels Desktop 9 available.

You may fine the release notes of Parallels Desktop 9 at : http://kb.parallels.com/117225

To update Parallels Desktop 9, Please refer this link http://kb.parallels.com/111603

Please let us know, if you have any additional questions. We're happy to help you.

6. spicydonuts

spicydonuts Bit poster

Uhhhhhhhhhh, not sure if you actually read the thread or not but this is the version we're talking about. The version that adds 10.10 support seems to be worse with 10.10 than the last one.

7. RameshK

RameshK Bit poster

I have had Parallels working well on Yosemite before, but since upgrading to 9.0.24237 on 7/2, my Windows 7 VM hangs whenever I open a browser (IE or Chrome). I've tried removing IE and reinstalling it, even downgrading Parallels to the previous version etc, but nothing works. Not being able to open a browser makes the VM very very less useful. Please help!

8. Maheesh@Parallels

Maheesh@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hello RameshK,

Please try to (re)install Parallels Tools as suggested at http://kb.parallels.com/4841 and let us know if that helps!

9. RameshK

RameshK Bit poster

Maheeshwar, I tried that, but did not help.