Memory Limit problems (stuck at 428MB)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by celebi23, Jul 15, 2007.

1. celebi23

celebi23 Bit poster

I've got Windows XP Pro running in the lastest version of Parallels. Up until a few days ago, the memory limity was 628MB now, when I try & start the VM, the limit is now stuck at 428MB. I've tried uninstalling with the uninstaller, tried with AppZapper and nothing seems to get the limit back up to 628MB. I have 2GB RAM installed in my C2D MacBook Pro 2.33 so, I should have enough memory. Not sure why I'm having this problem now

edit: nevermind. The memory limit in the memory tab in preferences was down to 528MB. It's working now

Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  2. railesjr

railesjr Bit poster

I have a Mac Pro that has 4 gigs of RAM in it. With Parallels v2 I was able to give my XP install 2 gigabytes of RAM. Now I cannot go above 1.5 gigs.

Looks like Parallels v3 is imposing a RAM limit. This is a severe limitation as the app I was running on Parallells v2 needed the extra RAM. Now it looks like the performance on that app is suffering.

Kind of sucks.

3. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Uhhh.. It has always been that way, there are two settings, one through the menu bar and one in the config window.

4. jbh001

jbh001 Member

I'm having a different problem. I have 2GB of memory in my Mac Mini, Running Mac OS 10.4.11 and Parallels 3.0.5608. When I try to create a new VM the maximum amount of memory it will let me allocate to the VM is 156MB. If I try allocating more (like 256MB, 512MB, or 1024MB) I get a warning message that states:

"The memory size specified exceeds the recommended maximum of 156MB. You must reduce the memory size otherwise you will not be able to start the virtual machine."

Any constructive ideas? I've tried searching the forums, but haven't found anything useful yet. This problem has actually been around for that last several builds of Parallels, but I just haven't had a real need to create a new VM that needed more than 128MB for a while.

Edit: Never mind. From the menu bar I navigated to Parallels Desktop > Preferences > Memory > and set Adjust memory limit from Manual to Automatic. Somewhere along the line it had gotten changed from Automatic to Manual and the limit set to 156MB.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008