compacting does't work

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by macdan67, Jul 14, 2007.

1. macdan67

macdan67 Bit poster

Hello,
    I have a problem with Parallels Desktop 3 : compacting doesn't work (Undo Disk in not eabled and there are no snapshot created). What is yhe problem ?
    Thank you for answer.

2. w7ox

w7ox Hunter

From the Parallels documentation:

Disk Compacting Tool
    Parallels Desktop uses virtual hard disks of two types: plain and expanding. Expanding virtual disks grow in size as you work with them. The Disk Compacting Tool cleans up unused space on an expanding virtual disk and reduces the size of that disk file in Mac OS X. See Compacting Virtual Disk (page 231) for guidelines on using this tool.
    Note. This tool does not reduce the size of files of virtual disks in plain format.

Do you have an plain disk (I do) or an expanding disk?

Phil

3. macdan67

macdan67 Bit poster

How is it possible to see if it is a plain disk or an expanding disk ?
    In the configuration editor, the compact button is not disabled. But, when i press on it, the following message appears :
    "The virtual hard disk /Users/vetterda/Documents/Parallels/MS Windows XP/winxp.hdd cannot be compacted. This may be because the virtual machine has "Undo Disks" option enabled or the hard disk is used in snapshots"

4. w7ox

w7ox Hunter

I get exactily the same message and I know mine is a Plain Disk .. since I intentionally created it that way.

Phil

5. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

Mine is expanding disk and still it doesn't work. Send e-mail to parallels.

They know about problem and it shoud be fixed in the new update (i hope :) )

6. macdan67

macdan67 Bit poster

Thank you.
    I will send an email to parallels.
    Daniel

7. macdan67

macdan67 Bit poster

I have send an email to parallels.
    Here the response : "RT could not load a valid user, and RT's configuration does not allow
    for the creation of a new user for your email."
    What does-it mean ? I have buyed an upgrade for Parallels Desktop 3.0 and I have a valid upgrade activation key.

8. D. Alan Stewart

D. Alan Stewart Bit poster

I have the same problem

Mine is an expanding disk. One thing, it has participated in a snapshot in the past, but all snapshots have since been deleted. This particular virtual disk is used by several virtual machines - not at the same time, I never have more than one machine suspended or running.

9. nategold

nategold Member

I have a snapshot that looks blank - no little preview in the snapshot manager. I cannot delete it - the software just hangs and I have to force quit parallels. I cannot compact my disk, which should be under 4 G but has somehow grown to over 6 G. The message is that I have snapshots and cannot compact it. So what do I do?

10. nategold

nategold Member

4560 update - Now when I try to delete the snapshot it says it is corrupted and cannot find the files, do I want to delete anyway. I say yes and it did not hang - then there are no snapshots. There is also no undo disk. Yet I still get the message when I try to compact and compacting fails.