Cannot install Parallels Tools

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by cvelezv, Jul 18, 2007.

1. cvelezv

cvelezv Bit poster

After updating to 4560, the setup parallels tools installer fails with error code -6001, the previous version worked without a problem. I'm running a Vista VM withoout any changes from the previous version 4128.

I followed the 3 suggestions stated in the error message: close any program (none running), empty my temporary folder (it is empty) and check the internet connection (it is ok).

Do you have any other suggestions?

2. Ankou

Ankou Guest

Hello cvelezv
    Please try to uncheck Share Mac and Windows application in Configuration->Shared Applications

3. Archy

Archy Bit poster

There is an InstallShield issue that may cause problems when attempting to install Parallels Tools.

If you get an error message similar to this, "Setup has experienced an error. Please do the following: close any running programs, empty your temporary folder, check your internet connection, then try to run setup again. Error code -6001".

This is how to fix it:

Open Windows Explorer and go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime\

There you'll see a folder named 10. Delete it to Recycle bin, or rename it so it can be reinstalled if needed. Do not permanently delete until you successfully can install Parallels Tools.

Run Parallels Tools installation again.

4. cvelezv

cvelezv Bit poster

Thanks Archy, I was able to install the tools, just cofirm to me that it is safe to delete the "10" folder, was it created by this installation?, to enable the installation I just renamed it to OLD10.

Thanks again

5. Archy

Archy Bit poster

It's safe. The problem cause:

A previous installation of any product using InstallShield for installation may have corrupted some of the InstallShield files. See:

http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=149372

InstallShield installers keep a copy of their DLL's in the Common Files folder on a user's machine. The files are located in:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime\

10 stands for Version 10 of InstallShield, the version used for the Parallels Tools installation program.

If you delete (or rename) the 10 folder and retry installation the new installer will recreate the folder with the new files from the Parallels Tools installation program.

For further information, search InstallShield's knowledge base (http://www.installshield.com/kb).