I can no longer use Wired Ethernet OS X

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Ungenious, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Ungenious

Ungenious Member

Ever since I installed (upgraded) to 3.0 my ethernet cable no longer works. I can run Airport just fine. I've looked at someone else's Network settings in OS X who has also installed Parallels 3.0 & it looks different than mine. My network status is not showing the "Built-in Ethernet". It currently only shows Airport, Parallels Host-Guest, Parallels NAT, Ethernet Adaptor (en2), and Ethernet Adaptor (en3).

Any clues?

Thanks in advanced.

**EDIT: After uninstalling & a reboot my Built-In Ethernet showed up after doing a renew Lease. Now... do I re-install the newest version?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  2. Ungenious

Ungenious Member

No clue then I suppose. I read a newer post saying to re-install Parallels tools inside of windows & disable Shared Internet in OS X. I guess I'll try that.

-Me

3. Ken Cunningham

Ken Cunningham Member

When I'm connected to Airport and not to Ethernet, I don't see the ethernet port listed as an available port in 'network status' either (my computer's working fine).

Click on the pop-up menu, and check your network port configurations to make sure Ethernet is still there.

If it's not listed in 'network port configurations', maybe somehow it was deleted.

It doesn't sound to me like this problem has anything to do with Parallels, parallels tools, or shared internet.

4. Ungenious

Ungenious Member

Built-in Ethernet is in the popup menu & Network port Configurations (though I could have sworn that it showed up after I fiddled around a bit).

And I believe it is Parallels as my Ethernet in OS X was disabled at the same time as my initial install. Also, my Built-in Ethernet does not show up in the Network Status list. Instead, I see Airport, Parallels Host-Guest, Parallels NAT, Ethernet Adaptor (en2), and Ethernet Adaptor (en3).

Before installing Parallels, it showed both Airport & Built-in Ethernet (and none of that en2 or en3 or Parallels stuff).

Also, I have just realized that Internet Sharing has not been enabled on my machine anyways. So there is nothing I can currently try besides uninstalling Parallels.

-Me

5. Ungenious

Ungenious Member

Okay,

so I've uninstalled Parallels. Now, in my Network under System Preferences only shows Airport on the main screen. And checking/unchecking Built-in Ethernet under Network Port Configurations doesn't do anything.

I can see Built-in Ethernet on the popup box; however, it doesn't seem to work. I keep trying to renew my DHCP Lease without luck. It sees my MAC address under Ethernet though.

Any suggestions or help at all is welcome.

Thanks in advanced,
    -Me

6. Ungenious

Ungenious Member

I've decided to re-install Parallels and give it one more shot before converting to competing product. I was dismayed at seeing the Windows Activation screen on reinstall, but (probably because I'm using a VM that was previously setup) it caught my internet connection & activated w/out me having to dial MS.

And now, there are no odd en2 or en3 Ethernet things showing up on my Network Preferences & Built-in Ethernet shows up nicely along w/ the Parallels Network things.

I don't expect this much hassle from a product I paid $100+ for, but not like there was much of a choice to begin off with.

I suppose if it aint broke don't fix it. And even more so, don't pay another $40-$80 to fix something that aint broke. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2007