cannot get parallels tools to install!!!

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by interconnect, Jul 19, 2007.

1. interconnect

interconnect Bit poster

i cannot get parallels tools installed. i installed 3.0.4560 on OS 10.4.10 and set up a new virtual machine (windows xp) and when trying to install the tools, the entire virtual machine would just shutdown. i tried this several times, same thing every time. it got to the point where i couldn't even start up the virtual machine anymore. sooo.. i deleted that virtual machine and created a new one, this time when installing parallels tools, doing a custom install and choosing not to install shared applications (as i read somewhere that that was the problem) and the installation completed successfully.. but now i get this error upon startup of windows xp:

so now i'm totally stuck and not sure what to do. i'm frustrated and pissed off! ;) i would appreciate any help!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  2. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Try re-install all of the parallel tools. People were suggesting to disable the sharing application in the parallel menu on the mac side. So disable it first on the mac side and then reinstall the parallel tools.

3. interconnect

interconnect Bit poster

ok. i'm not sure what you are talking about when you say disable the sharing application in the parallel menu on the mac side.. where is this?

4. interconnect

interconnect Bit poster

bingo, it worked! with the virtual machine stopped, i went to edit, then virtual machine, then under shared applications, disabled everything. i was then able to install parallels tools although after, i tried re-enabling shared applications but my virtual machine would not startup.. same as before.. during boot it just shuts down/closes randomly. thanks for your help.