Parallels 9 upgrade from XP to Wondows 7

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration' started by parallan, Feb 21, 2014.

1. parallan

parallan Bit poster

having read through many threads, it would appear that you can only do a clean install, there is no upgrade.

i also understand that all the software needs to be re-installed so have run windows 7 upgrade advisor so i know what software or hardware is not compatible

do you delete the VM running XP first? or just create a new VM and install win7?

there is a Parallels software program on Amazon called " Parallels Desktop Upgrade to windows 7" that is not available anywhere else but would appear to keep the old XP VM so that incompatible programs can be run therefore you have 2 VM's which take up alot of space, is this correct?
    http://www.amazon.com/Parallels-Desktop-Upgrade-Windows-7/dp/B003M85RAA

Lots of questions, can someone help please who has moved from XP to Windows 7?
    Thanks

2. NikolausS

NikolausS Bit poster

hi,

I have upgraded from XP to Win7.

Some years ago I used Upgrade to Windows 7 to install a new computer with Win7. It was a desaster. After many hours wasted time I installed Win7 and all my programs manually.

Now I upgraded on the same computer and it works but with severe problems:
    1) The virtual machine does not work at all. In the BIOS there is no setting for hardware virtualization (CPU: AMD Athlon 3200+).
    Maybe the CPU is the reason. But during purchasing there was no information at all about the requirement for a CPU with hardware virtualization.
    2) There are several folders which I have no access to, not even as administrator, e.g. C:\Documents and Settings, C:\ProgramData\Application Data, and many more.
    3) The startup of Win7 ist corrupted. I need some tricks to login as a standard user.

There is no support from Parallels.
    A company like Parallels should not take money for a program with so many malfunctions and so bad support.

a frustrated user

3. AnnaM

AnnaM Junior Member

2 years ago I upgraded from XP to Win7 using Windows7 Upgrade Advisor. I haven't had any problems, but I did not have too many software installed.