Upgraded Parallels on the Mac side, now how do I upgrade Tools?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by kingofkolt, Jul 19, 2007.

1. kingofkolt

kingofkolt Junior Member

The title pretty much says it all. I just upgraded to the latest build 4560, installed it (worked fine), ran Windows, and it made me reinstall the ACPI drivers (I thought this was supposed to be fixed?!). Then I looked at the About in the Parallels Tools program, and it says it's Build 4128. How do I update Tools, and when I do, will that fix the ACPI problem?

Thanks!

2. Erich

Erich Member

Actions > Install Parallels Tools

3. kingofkolt

kingofkolt Junior Member

4. brkirch

brkirch Pro

Are you running Windows directly or through Parallels? The ACPI driver issue is fixed, but it might still reinstall one more time after Parallels Tools is updated. If you haven't run your Boot Camp partition through Parallels yet you need to do so to update Parallels Tools. The Parallels Tools installer should start automatically. If it doesn't then follow Erich's suggestion and select "Install Parallels Tools..." from the "Actions" menu.

Edit:
    It should have, so if it doesn't you might want to uninstall and reinstall Parallels Tools just to avoid any possible issues.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  5. Erich

Erich Member

Who knows? Parallels has never automatically updated tools when I've upgraded, though the tools upgrade seems to go fine when I run it manually. In the past, I've uninstalled then reinstalled the tools, though this last time I just upgraded them with no problems.

6. kingofkolt

kingofkolt Junior Member

Thanks for the answers, guys. One thing about this though:

Just to recap: I opened Windows in Parallels after reinstalling Parallels and it did the ACPI driver install. I didn't restart when it wanted me to though, because I had seen the documentation by this point, so I just uninstalled Parallels Tools and then restarted Windows (in Parallels), and then installed the new version of Tools. Once the new version was installed, I then shut down Parallels and restarted my computer into Boot Camp Windows, and it did NOT do the ACPI driver crap. Then I came back to Mac OS X, got back into Parallels, and it still isn't reinstalling the ACPI drivers. So I think that's a good thing (except that it didn't reinstall the drivers after I installed Tools, like you said it would...? Maybe Tools installs that for me or something).

So I *think* everything is well in my little virtual world. Some thoughts on this latest build: The mouse synchronization is COOL! It's nice being able to slide off the VM and just change cursors, as opposed to having two cursors at once or having to click inside the VM to "capture" the cursor like I used to have to do. Also, I'm not sure if I like this yet but I think I do: Re-setting the resolution when I resize the Parallels program window is pretty convenient. I like.

7. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

never install any drivers if you get a found new hardware dialog box before you have installed parallels tools

which is in fact a suite of customised drivers

googling ACPI it is a power maangement system

I don't use bootcamp and leave the power management to the Mac OS

Hugh W