Install Parallels Tools on Linux

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by fadrianoc, Jun 21, 2007.

1. fadrianoc

fadrianoc Junior Member

Select Actions -> Install parallels tools...
    In a terminal, enter:
    cd /media/Parallels\ Tools/
    sudo sh parallels-tools.run

Centos 5 (last version avaible)
    When insert in terminal the command above i receive an error
    /media/Parallels Tools/: No such file or directory

the cdrom icon when clicked display:
    connect to vmtools-linux.iso

How to solve that ?
    Thanks

2. ariell

ariell Member

Parallels tools is not yet made for linux; only windows.

3. fadrianoc

fadrianoc Junior Member

Are you sure ?
    I don't think so.
    With last version Parallels Tools works on linux distro, i've read many posts about that.
    Hoping to have read well :)

4. fadrianoc

fadrianoc Junior Member

From the manual:

7 Change the directory to the CD-ROM and run the installer by the command:
    sh parallels-tools.run

How to change the directory to the CD-ROM in terminal ?
    Sorry for the newbie question :)

5. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Nope it does exist for Linux. I have it working in Kubuntu and OpenSuSE.

6. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Fadrianoc,

Most likely Centos is not mounting the CD under media, you might want to try to check in your /etc/fstab where it mounts the cd, and change to that directory instead. If that does not work, you may have to make a new mount point for your CD-ROM and mount it there.

Try asking around in the Centos forums, they might be able t ohelp you mount it.

7. talmy

talmy Member

Probably needs to be "cd /media/cdrom"

8. amahler

amahler Bit poster

I just did a CentOS 5 install as well and experienced the same thing. I've not dug around enough yet to figure out what's interfering, but here's a quick workaround.

Make sure Parallels is connected to the vmtools-linux.iso file. You can use the little CD icon in the bottom of the Parallels window to check this. The .iso file is located in /Library/Parallels/Tools on your Mac.

Open a terminal in CentOS and type:

mount /dev/hdb /media

Then cd to /media and type:

sudo sh parallels-tools.run

I'll dig around a little more to see what's disagreeing with CentOS 5, but it seems to be a fairly superficial problem.

Hope that helps!
    - Aaron

9. TheSystemHasFailed

TheSystemHasFailed Member

It's part of Parallels 3 now.

10. ndutyme

ndutyme Bit poster

I don't even see the "vmtools-linux.iso file in my /Library/Parallels/Tools directory.
    Is it possible that this only comes with version 3 or something?
    If so, has anyone tried to copy this .iso file and use it on pre version 3 Parallels VMs?
    I don't want to have to pay for version 3 without knowing if this version of the tools will work or not.

11. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

installing tools in unbuntu

Ive mounted parallels tools on desktop, but i dubble click on icon i get error.

Couldn't display "/media/cdrom0/parallels-tools.run

12. bruckwine

bruckwine Junior Member

thanks I got the parallels tool to install..but upon restarting and loggin in back I don't see the tools icon..and the system still says I cannot share folders?!

Edit: I CAN however move by mouse cursor in and out w/o ctl+alt..is that it?!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  13. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Yes, and you should be able to resize the VM window, which will resize the X windows session dynamically.

14. bruckwine

bruckwine Junior Member

whoa - they need to work on that...how do I get data in there w/o burning dics or the internet then? Kind of pointless in the end :-|

15. vamsireddy22

vamsireddy22 Bit poster

installing parallels tools in linux

Hi pals,

To enable Parallels Tools for Linux, simply mount Library/Parallels/Tools/vmtools-linux.iso via the Configuration Editor or via the little cd icon at the bottom of the Parallels guest os window. Once vmtools-linux.iso was mounted (I had to do 1 reboot to see the mounted vmtools-linux.iso icon on the desktop)

mounting cdrom

1. mkdir /mnt/cdrom ( create empty directory)
    2. mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom (mount cdrom)

running parallels tools

1. sudo sh parallels-tools.run (installs parallels tools)

I then typed in sudo sh parallels-tools.run via the terminal (from the corresponding /media/cdrom directory) to have Parallels Tools enabled. Things like Coherence mode and 3d support are still only available for Windows, but at least Linux has some nice acceleration with Parallels Tooks and the ability to move freely the mouse in and out of the Parallels guest OS window. Furthermore Snapshots worked in Linux as well.

Source: http://lunapark6.com/parallels-desktop-30-for-mac.html

the following features works when parallels tools are installed

1. full screen mode
    2. ability to move mouse freely in and out of OS's
    3. date synchronisation
    4. snapshot

have a nice time.

Vamsi

16. Quillz

Quillz Junior Member

It's included with Parallels 3 at least, I just finished installing it on Ubuntu 7.04.

17. waffle168

waffle168 Bit poster

Error: No Xserver found in system

I'm trying to install the parallels tools for linux. So far, I've got ubuntu working in parallels. But not much luck with the tools installation.

I'm getting the following error:

dell3700:/Volumes/Parallels Tools azai$ sudo sh parallels-tools.run
    Password:
    Verifying archive integrity... All good.
    Uncompressing Parallels Tools for Linux................................................................................
    No Xserver found in system.

No sure what that means? Can someone shed some light for me? Thanks.

18. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Hi Waffle, it sounds as if your X windows subsystem is not installed. That would be surprising. When you boot your Ubuntu session, what do you see? Do you see a graphical interface? Which version of ubuntu are you trying to install?

I have had lots of problems installing the Live CD's, the alternate CDs have been a breeze to install.

If you do have a graphical interface when you boot up your Xwindows, where did you install it from. Was it installed along with your initial install or did you download it and install it separately?

19. waffle168

waffle168 Bit poster

Hi FBronner,

Thanks for your help.

Interesting that you ask, I see a black screen with nothing on it for about 20 seconds or so before the the screen that asks your username appears. I'm not sure if that's what others see. Once I enter my username and password, Ubuntu seems to be launching just fine. I've installed Ubuntu v. 7.04.

Not quite sure what you're talking about. I don't think I've installed Xwindows. Maybe that's the problem?

20. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Well, I have been trying to install the 3rd alpha of 7.10 and i seem to have the same issue as you.

As soon as I figure something I'll post back here