Windows 7 event distorted sound

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by mculver, Sep 18, 2013.

1. mculver

mculver Member

I just upgraded to Parallels 9 from Parallels 7 and have the latest build (9.0.23062). The guest is Windows 7, fairly up to date but there are probably a few hotfixes, it was up to date a month ago.

The host is an iMac early 2010 with Mountain Lion, also latest (10.8.5).

When a Windows 7 event occurs, such as an email received in Outlook, there is a scratchy, distorted, loud sound that occurs just before the Windows event sound. The Windows event sound occurs immediately after, like not even a second, but the distortion is a showstopper.

This never occurred with Parallels 7. It is new with Parallels 9. All Mac sounds are fine, none have this distortion.

Parallels is using the default output setting.

Thanks in advance for a remedy for how to fix this so it doesn't occur.

2. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

I have experienced this also. At work, my iMac has the sound turned off so I don't notice it there. At home, I hear that loud short static on my Mac Pro when Windows starts to play a sound. I think it happens with the first sound being played. After that it's ok for awhile. But then the static will occur again. The sounds involved are ordinary Windows 7 UI sounds - for opening folders in Explorer, or clicking the left and right arrows in Control Panel, etc.

3. CarlosDeBernard

CarlosDeBernard Bit poster

Hi all
    Even that these post is old. These is happening again using windows xp VM with the new update. Build 8.0.18608
    (Revision 898384; July 17, 2013)

4. CarlosDeBernard

joevt

For any chance, you have iTunes 11.1 install.

I have checking all possibilities, and some have users being are facing sound core changes inside the os itself and can affect parallels operations in some way

But i still reading and making cross examination.

5. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

I do have iTunes 11.1 installed (released 2013-09-18). I think the problem occurred before that though.

I haven't experienced the problem lately.
    Build 9.0.23062 (Revision 920702; Thursday, September 12, 2013)

Actually, I just did. Before (5 minutes ago) I was playing with Control Panel on my virtual machine and the sounds were ok. Then I was writing this reply in Safari on Mac OS X. Then I went back to my virtual machine, clicked on the forward button (left of the path) in the Control Panel window, and heard a distortion at the beginning of the click sound.

I don't know what happened in between when the sound was ok and the distortion sound occurred. Something must have happened to the sound buffer where Parallels plays the sounds from.

6. CarlosDeBernard

For the moment, and taking consideracion about these issue, it has to do with itunes 11 and .1 upgrade.

I will continue checking these out, since all problems start in iTunes update, since it seam that some audio core patch or address if you call these like these, it have come impact.

Even that these has being a random issue, i am sure that it is not parallels. Since the audio interface come from the VM.

For me, only 1 computer has these problem And only in the VM environment. not on the OSX. These is a far that i know. And only in what I have install in my computers, with parallels 8 using windows xp professional.

Something has to be done. I hope parallels are seeing these forums to take some assistance in these matter.

These is the first issue so far with parallels, since i use these program all day.

7. mculver

mculver Member

All sounds in Mac OS are fine. I'm not using iTunes 11.1 (and why would an app have anything to do with how sounds are in Parallels?).

This loud crackling and distortion in the speakers prior to a sound is only happening in Parallels with Windows event sounds that can be set through Control Panel. This is new with Parallels 9.

Can I get somebody from Parallels to take note of this problem? I'm strongly considering going back to Parallels 7 or 8 at this point.

8. mculver

mculver Member

I did more in-depth searching of the forum for this issue. Looks like it has been around for awhile. Re-installing the tools seems to be the solution. And for now, at least, that has worked in my case.

9. mculver

mculver Member

That didn't last long. The reinstall of the Parallels Tools seemed to work briefly but now we're right back to having this perhaps when the file is first loaded from disk.

Any help is appreciated. While this is not as serious as other problems people are having, certainly if the Windows event sounds are necessary for me and I can't just turn them off, this is a big problem.

10. mmarchant

mmarchant Bit poster

It's still affecting my computer Windows 7 and MAc OS 10.8.5

11. mculver

mculver Member

The new build hasn't changed this. Still really bad distortion a lot of the time, but not every time.

12. bk0908

bk0908 Bit poster

I've been having this problem for long time and unable to find a fix.. reinstalling the tool is not a permanent fix. This is really bad when I have my headphone on watching a movie or something then I get this cracking, distorted sound (it does sound like something is exploding and extremely discomforting with over the ear headphones on...) just before an email notification is received.

Parallels ought to find the root cause and fix asap. This doesn't really happen with my VMs running via fusion.

13. LeVeL5

LeVeL5 Junior Member