Xcode & shared Folders

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by LazarusLong, Jul 23, 2014.

1. LazarusLong

LazarusLong Bit poster

I am running Mac OS X 10.6.8 and created a 10.8.5 VM, primarily for the purpose of running Xcode 5.

I've read advice that the VM hard disk should only hold the OS, shared folders on the host should be used to store user data because if the VM is corrupted, I could lose everything in the virtual HD.

I'm having problems with this - shared folders aren't reliable. Xcode fails to run from a shared volume, but it works ok (if slowly) from the VM. Copying large numbers of files fails also. Copying xcode.app to the VM fails, but copying the original .dmg to the VM and then extracting is ok. zip archives are ok. If I need to copy large numbers of files, I have to zip them on the host, copy the zip file, then unzip in the VM.

2. GC_YVR

GC_YVR Member

Because the advice is not that great. Ideally you should run a versioning system and check in your code before each build, so you can avoid using the Shared Folder.. because honestly shared folders degrade your performance.

3. LazarusLong

LazarusLong Bit poster

Probably true, but why the problems with the shared folders? Is this a known issue? I am having problems with accessing/copying large number of files. The problems aren't limited to Xcode.