Utilization Increases when screen saver activates?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by twoods, Jul 20, 2007.

1. twoods

twoods Member

Utilization shoots up to over 100% when screen saver activates.

Anyone else seeing this?

Just standard "flying windows logo" all standard.

Tim
    --

2. GlennG

GlennG Member

That's perfectly normal!

Disable screensavers - it's the Mac that should be doing screensaving. In windows, select (none) as the screensaver.

.Glenn

3. twoods

twoods Member

Hi .Glenn and thanks for the reply.

While I understand what your saying I have the screen saver in XP enabled as it is a boot camp install and when in native hardware mode I shouldn't have to go in and enable it each time. (really not a big deal either way) But....

I have to take exception with your statement... "perfectly normal"? A screen saver should not drive a cpu to 100% - 110% utilization... ever never ever... I would submit to you that it is anything but normal and indicates a problem somewhere...

Tim
    --

4. Robster

Robster Hunter

I tend to agree with GlennG.

First thing I did when I spotted the same issue was to disable Screen saver on Windows.

Of course it would drive up CPU usage, most screen savers are graphics intensive and it is the CPU that is driving the graphics hence the increase in CPU overhead.

Robin

5. GlennG

GlennG Member

I'd totally agree - perfectly normal doesn't mean it's right!

I'd not considered the dual role - boot camp & Parallels. I was thinking more of running it as a VM in which case the screen saver is a bit irrelevant. However, running it in Boot Camp is a completely different kettle of fish.

I suppose it should be possible to do some form of batch file and leave it on the desktop; probably just a .reg file.

.Glenn