Parallels Desktop 9 and Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite (as a guest OS) compatibility

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Andrew@Parallels, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Gary Kellogg

Gary Kellogg Member

I just had a thought about this. Count me among those who would like to see Yosemite running as a guest under parallels. However, being a beta, it occurs to me that such an arrangement may introduce variables that Apple would not like to contend with as it develops Yosemite. Just a thought...

2. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

3. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

4. webmatze

webmatze Bit poster

Yosemite is running under Parallels

I was able to run Yosemite under Parallels 10.0!!! Should also be working under older versions.
    Screenshot 2014-07-27 18.10.49.jpg
    I just had to create a customized bootable dmg file.

5. DevonExpat

DevonExpat Bit poster

...and would you like to elaborate on that claim a little bit? Like, the origin of Parallels 10.0, perhaps? And why, because of your claim, Yosemite should run under older versions of Parallels? And, specifically, how you customised your bootable dmg file?!!

It seems to me that your post might just be a bit of a spoof!

6. webmatze

webmatze Bit poster

I am sorry. I forgot that I am using a private Beta of Parallels. But I am sure the steps I used will also work for the latest public version of Parallels.

I wrote a step by step tutorial. But it is in german so you may have to use a google translation.

Basically I used the tool IESD to create a bootable dng out of the Yosemite Install App and added some missing files using the hdiutil.

I then created an empty virtual machine in Parallels and configured the dmg as a bootable DVD. You do not need to install OS X Mavericks.

Then start the virtual machine and follow the installation process of Yosemite. You also have to create a new HFS+ partition to install Yosemite on.

Here you can find my description of the process (german): http://handcoder.de/os-x-yosemite-in-parallels-installieren.html

As I was able to install Yosemite, there are some bugs that prevent you from working with it without problems. But for a first impression its enough.

7. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

8. DevonExpat

DevonExpat Bit poster

So, legitimate, after all! Nevertheless, very complicated and reliant on having the various elements (gem, iesd, etc) installed and then the patience to carry out all the instructions. Then, even when you've got through all that, "there are some bugs" (not defined) "that prevent you from working with it without problems"!!

By the way, @webmatze, your English is nigh on perfect and the German instructions easy to follow, so that has nothing to do with my decision to wait until Parallels can provide something that will permit Yosemite to be installed (over a clean Mavericks installation) in a normal fashion!! As I am not a developer, but an interested member of the public hoping to contribute to the debate, my decision will not have critical repercussions!! :)

9. PD_usr

PD_usr Member

I've tried this method (originally found on macrumors.com) some days ago with the current Parallels Desktop 9.0.24237.1028877 and it doesn't work. The created Installer-Image works, because VMware Fusion 6.04 and VirtualBox 4.3.14 can boot it, but Parallels can't ..... :-(

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  10. Spot14

Spot14 Bit poster

Thats what Parallels writes on Facebook:
    just unbelievable...

11. PD_usr

PD_usr Member

Indeed, because VMware Fusion and VirtualBox support Yosemite as Guest-OS already now. It was quite clear that we have to buy Parallels Desktop 10 for this - remembers me on PD9 and Mavericks last year .....

12. webmatze

webmatze Bit poster

The problems I mentioned are that my mouse/trackpad does not cover the whole screen. So I can not reach items in Yosemites menu bar or on the dock. But by using Spotlight you can open most of the things you need. And the whole system is a little bit slow...

13. pjboud

pjboud Bit poster

No very useful. I will no longer require Yosemite as a guest OS when final product ships, since it will then be ready to become my primary OS....

14. PD_usr

PD_usr Member

@webmatze: You have many years of expertise in Ruby on Rails according to your website - why not patching the iESD Tool to simplify the steps to create the Installer-Image?

15. DaniT

DaniT Bit poster

I understand completely that it's is difficult to support Beta software. However as other have mentioned one of the main uses of Virtualisation technology is the ability to test Beta software in a contained (virtualised) container. It would make the Parallels product much stronger especially as it seems Apple wil be releasing public Beta's also in the future.
    I guess many users will now try a alternate Virtualisation software which is not great for Parallels...

16. webmatze

webmatze Bit poster

You are right. That would make it easier for everybody else. ;) Lets see if I find the time...

17. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

18. DevonExpat

DevonExpat Bit poster

Once you had restarted, @II-Stone, did hdiutil successfully convert?

19. kpluck

kpluck Junior Member

I am so done with this product.

-kpluck

20. Davenport

Davenport Bit poster

If you use "hdiutil detach" on each volume instead of "hdiutil unmount," a restart will not be required.

@DevonExpat: Yes, it did convent after I used "detach." I was then able to use the bootable image in VirtualBox.