Italian keyboard and non-working key

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by tolaini, Apr 27, 2006.

1. tolaini

tolaini Junior Member

In Beta5 there is still an annoying bug with the Italian keyboard layout. The same problem appears on MS Remote Desktop Connection. Let me explain in full, since I have done some debugging on this:

* The problem manifest itself as a misplaced key (the "<>" key placed right before the "Z" key) that works as if it was the "\|" key, and a completely dead key (the "\|" key placed right before the "1" key).

* Using Ukulele under OSX, I see that the raw scancodes for these keys are (in decimal format): 10 for the "\|" key and 50 for the "<>" key.

* On OSX you can have 3 types of keyboard: ANSI (the standard US keyboard), ISO (for example the italian keyboard) and JAP (the Kanji keyboard, I presume). On the ANSI keyboard, the raw scancode 50 is assigned to the key right before the "1" key and the scancode 10 is not present on the keyboard. On the ANSI keyboard, the raw scancode 50 is assigned to the key right before "Z" and the raw scancode 10 is assigned to the key right before the "1" key. Notice that the raw scancode 50 changes physical location in the two layouts: this could be the cause of the swapped keystrokes.

* Using another tool under the virtualized XP, I see that the raw scancode 50 is not reaching the virtualized OS, i.e. no keydown event is generated on Windows.

My guess is that Paralles code is reading the keystrokes without discriminating between ANSI and ISO layouts, and so the missing key on the ANSI layout is not recognised as a valid keystroke, and the swapped key is sent with the wrong raw scancode.

Hope this helps fixing the problem. I can run test programs for keystroke handling for you, if you don't have an italian keyboard handy.

2. Olivier

Olivier Forum Maven

I can confirm the EXACT same issue here with a "Belgian" keyboard.
    Here is the keyboard map :
    [​IMG]
    The keys which display as "@" and as "<" on this map are reversed in the XP guest.
    This leads to a key on the top-left (labelled '@') which in XP Belgian mapping should give a small 2 or small 3 depending on shift. And to a key on the bottom-left (labelled '<') which should give a '<', '>' or '\' on XP Guest depending on shift or AltGr and is DEAD for now.

I'm using alt-92 for now to get a backslash, and I'm becoming mad... ;-)

3. jcfischer

jcfischer Bit poster

Exact same problem with Swiss German keyboard layout. This is almost the only thing that makes life in the VM painfull for me

4. dakis

dakis Bit poster

Same issue here - I also use a Swiss German keyboard.

5. tolaini

tolaini Junior Member

Still not fixed on Beta6... Are the Parallels guy investigating on this or this issue will slip into GA release? I hate MS Remote Desktop Connection for still having this issue and no hope to have MS correct it...

Really, please give us feedback. Developing in Visual Studio with the messed up keyboard is a painful experience!

6. MacStar

MacStar Bit poster

Same problem here with a german MBP keyboard.
    I agree to tolaini, a feedback would be great. Something like "Yes we know that problem, still working on it" from a developer would make my decision to spend the 40 bucks more easier.

7. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

Yes, we know the problem and will provide a fix before the final version. This bug is known but has a low priority and will be fixed after more serious crashes. But be absolutely sure that final version will not come without possibility to configure your non-usa keyboards.

8. MacStar

MacStar Bit poster

Yes this are good news, thanks tacit_one for your feedback.

9. tolaini

tolaini Junior Member

Is there a timeframe for this bug to be fixed? It's still holding me from preordering your wonderful software! I'd like to have it ironed out in one of the forthcoming betas...

10. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

ANSI/ISO keyboard fixes will be awailable in the next public build of Parallels Workstation.

11. Mickey

Mickey Member

Great!! I am also looking forward to it (Belgian keyboard on a MacBookPro)

12. fredash

fredash Bit poster

KeyBoard Mapping Problems Persists in RC2...

Hello,

I have downloaded the latest RC2 but it seems that the Keyboard Mapping problem for non-US keyboards is always there.

In fact, i can only access the "Normal" and "Shifted" keys but i can't enter any other keys !
    For example, the key combination "ALT SHIFT :" on my belgian MacBookPro Keyboard should give me the BACKSLASH character... but when i do that on Parallels, nothing happens.
    And It is the same situation for ALL OTHER key combinations.

Parallels TEAM, could you please tell us when you plan to fix that ?

Thanks in advance,
    Fred.

13. stonelli

stonelli Bit poster

Any news? How do I get my Swiss German Keyboard working? I can't enter a @, which on this layout is alt-g (shouldn't be too difficult...)

14. Mickey

Mickey Member

15. PaoloT1

PaoloT1 Member

Sixteen years later, it looks like the same issue persists...
    Paolo