Parallels Desktop 9 and Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite (as a guest OS) compatibility

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Andrew@Parallels, Jun 3, 2014.

1. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

2. PD_usr

PD_usr Member

I've already tried the method described by webmatze some days ago with Parallels Desktop 9.0.24237.1028877 as well as 9.0.24229.991745 and it doesn't work. The created Installer-Image works, because VMware Fusion 6.04 and VirtualBox 4.3.14 can boot it, but Parallels 9 can't. It seems we have to buy Parallels Desktop version 10 .....

But no really luck for me with VMware Fusion 6.04 and VirtualBox 4.3.14: VMware cannot assign the required 2 GB RAM on my 2 GB machine (but Parallels can) - similar with VirtualBox, it starts anyway, but hangs completely (the whole Mac) after 20 percent of the Yosemite installation.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  3. Abhijit

Abhijit Member

I am able to run with VirtuabBox 4.3.14 (run slow)
    I used the standard (iesd) method to start installation (use one processor to start installation). Once the installation is over, start Yosemite (will be slow). Reboot once and then increase RAM / Processors.

Tried converting VBox file to Parallels. The conversion process gives error after the process is complete. Error message says contact support.

Parallels team has lost the plot.

4. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

5. MuneeshK

MuneeshK Bit poster

I have installed Parallels Desktop 9 on Yosemite & tried for a few days. First it was running okay, but after 2-3 days, it started crashing badly. As soon as Windows load on Mac, it crashes showing Errors as were repeated in version 7 & 8 of Parallels. Its a minor fix from my point of view, but I guess Parallels are going to come up with a new version to make some more sales. Anyways it does not work as of today. The windows will crash as soon as they have finished booting.

6. PleasespecifyYourNickName

PleasespecifyYourNickName Bit poster

I totally agree. I bought my various upgrades to every new Parallels version because I thought I would then get the best support for Guest-OSes and also support the further development of Parallels. It's hard to believe that they are not going to release a version of PD which can run OS X Yosemite before its final release.

7. TJF@Denver

TJF@Denver Bit poster

... I was finally able to get mac osx 10.10 B1 to run under parallels 9 w/host OS mavericks ... it took some re-construction of Darwin and modification of parallels plists, but it did finally boot!

8. Davenport

Davenport Bit poster

Care to share the details of the re-construction and modification so others can try it as well?

9. Auyantepuy

Auyantepuy Bit poster

I'm all ears
    bigears12.jpg

10. RhythmGuru

RhythmGuru Bit poster

I'm confused. The Official Parallels KB article suggests that Yosemite is fully supported for Guest OS installs in Parallels 9 for Mac. http://kb.parallels.com/en/122422
    Opened a support ticket today since I still can't get past the Darwin screen. Installed Mavericks and then upgraded to Yosemite from there. I would love to install Yosemite directly in Parallels, but it doesn't recognize my bootable USB stick.

11. geovass

geovass Bit poster

How did you upgrade Yosemite from Maverics VM.
    I tryed that but stuck after the first reboot to Darwin screen.

12. RhythmGuru

RhythmGuru Bit poster

Sorry, that's what I tried to do. And have the same problem as you. It will start the install but when it reboots it's not finalizing the install.

13. mcranston

mcranston Bit poster

I just upgraded to OS X 10.10 without thinking about Parallels 8 not working and of course it didn't. I was getting the error "Can't load Parallels driver because virtualization is turned off". I downloaded and installed Parallels 9 trial and it works prefect!

14. The Patcher

The Patcher Bit poster

That's strange - the article does not mention the Yosemite Beta or Developer Preview for Parallels 9... For Parallels 8 Mavericks DP is listed.

15. RhythmGuru

RhythmGuru Bit poster

My bad. I assumed since they show compatibility with Yosemite 10.10.x that included the beta and DP. I guess not.

16. Nico van der Linden

Nico van der Linden Bit poster

Hi Biff, what steps did you take in order to get this working? I'd really love to try out yosemite as VM, I now use a dual boot but that is really crap...

17. VagelisB

VagelisB Bit poster

Is it in purpose ?

Well if Parallels doesn't come with an update that lets me run Yosemite as a VM under v9 and pushes me to buy v10 or makes me wait until the release of Yosemite, I would simply buy VMware and never look back.
    I am sorry but chocking your victims ... I meant customers, is not what I would call a productive healthy relationship.

And this is from somebody that has all the updates x2 since v6.
    Last year was enough, this year you pass the red line and then I am gone.

18. VagelisB

VagelisB Bit poster

Same here, stuck

19. stevenj16

stevenj16 Bit poster

I agree. I *feel* like I'm being manipulated - even if I'm not. Parallel's silence on the matter isn't helping.

20. nanoANT

nanoANT Member

FYI I just used my support ticket to request Yosemite guest support or access to PD10 ongoing Beta testing.

For Yosemite guest support in PD9 I got response that it is supported with some issues (KB121895) which is utter bu..it, because PD9 does not let you to install from Yosemite DP5 installer (latest), using upgrade causes to fail on first reboot. So how this can be told as supported!?

For access to ongoing PD10 Beta I just got response that currently they don't accept new beta testers. Woot!? What's the problem?

So I am very disappointed with attitude of Parallels team to existing customers.

I am right now using VMware Tech Preview which is free (till October) and works nicely with Yosemite. There is some GUI stutter, however it just works out of the box with Yosemite!