Parallels support for Triple Boot setup?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by groupofone, Jul 16, 2007.

1. groupofone

groupofone Bit poster

I'm having a similar problem to some other folks getting a Boot Camp partition to be recognized by Parallels. Any help is appreciated. Here's the set-up:

diskutil list

/dev/disk0
    #: type name size identifier
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *149.1 GB disk0
    1: EFI 200.0 MB disk0s1
    2: Apple_HFS OS X 68.7 GB disk0s2
    3: Microsoft Basic Data Windows Vista 60.0 GB disk0s3
    4: Microsoft Basic Data Windows XP 20.0 GB disk0s4
    /dev/disk1
    #: type name size identifier
    0: Apple_partition_scheme *2.6 MB disk1
    1: Apple_partition_map 31.5 KB disk1s1
    2: Apple_HFS Google Notifier 2.6 MB disk1s2

Any time I try to add the Vista or XP partitions to Parallels and run them, I receive the error:

More than one Windows partitions are found. This is not a standard Boot Camp configuration. Please refer to the Parallels Desktop for Mac User Guide, Using Boot Camp Windows XP Installation chapter for instructions on how to configure Parallels virtual machine in case of a non-standard Boot Camp configuration on your Macintosh computer.

These partitions boot fine under Boot Camp by holding down the Atl-Option button, selecting Windows, and then the Vista bootloader kicks in and I can choose Vista or XP.

I'd prefer to be able to run one or both of these actively in OS X 10.4.10. Right now, I spend a large amount of time in XP, less time in Vista, and even less in OS X (a lot of my must-have apps live in the Windows world). I'd like to spend almost all of my time in OS X and only boot to XP/Vista if I need very specific driver support or specific test scenarios.

Any suggestions on how to get this to work, or am I stuck waiting for additional Parallels releases? The marketing for Parallels made this seem pretty easy. I'm coming to find out otherwise.

Thanks,
    D

2. Mike@Parallels

Mike@Parallels Hunter

2 groupofone

Send me your .pvs files for XP and Vista please via PM.

3. groupofone

groupofone Bit poster

No response received yet on this issue.

Here's an update on progress...

I am running Parallels 4560, with the partition map as above. Vista works under parallels with the .pvs edited to access BootCamp;disk0s3.

Trying BootCamp;disk0s4 for XP does not work, unfortunately. This gives the error: Boot from hard drive... No boot device available, press Enter to continue.

Nor does trying to select XP from the Vista boot-loader under Parallels (using the Vista.pvs). This approach results in an error message starting: Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk.

Is there any way to get XP and Vista working in Parallels in this configuration? I pretty happy with my BootCamp set-up and switch between systems fairly frequently. However, I'd like to spend the majority of my time in OS X w/ Parallels running these OSes and only booting to either OS if I need something specific.

Thanks,
    D

4. harada

harada Bit poster

I am experiencing the exact same issue. If anyone has found a solution, I would greatly appreciate it if you could post it here! Thanks!

5. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team