Parallels 9, Mavericks and Updating ...

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by LandShark, Aug 10, 2014.

1. LandShark

LandShark Bit poster

OK, I have to use Parallels to support my Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 users as well as a few developer-related issues. Put another way, I use it about once or twice a month. I have gone to use it today and (as I usually do) I check for any updates. I am running 24229 so it has told me to update to 24237 and I dutifully click 'update' only to find it does nothing.

Off to the Parallels web site and - oh yes, no "obvious" support page so no "obvious" download area. That's really the sum of this software - very VERY annoying when there is a problem with their software and (as a user) you have the indecency to run into a bug (which they document at the bottom of the update screen). Now you would have thought that there would be an explanation as to how to update the unupdateable, but no. Nada, nothing. Not even the courtesy of a 'sticky' at the top of the forum to help the beleaguered "customer" who has just stepped off a 12 hour flight.

So whilst the Yosemite beta threads seem to provoke terse responses, this developer is stuck with a Parallels 9 desktop version that is out of date with no easy way (it seems) to fix the problem. Added to this, we have the tail-end of a hurricane that seems to be causing numerous issues with the Internet and perhaps you can understand why this developer (whose software is FREE) is getting very, very angry about a developer (Parallels) who take money at every major release and still fail to provide a proper support page for those of us running on decent machines (Macs) that don't demand updates every time you turn them on.

Before I get the inevitable hate mail, I cannot afford the luxury of surfing the site ad nauseam to locate the one minor page that may tell me how to do this as I am on a mobile signal that charges by the byte.

How do I update this quickly so I can support my users - please!

2. PD_usr

PD_usr Member