1. Patrick OLeary

Patrick OLeary Member

I recently accepted the update that Parallels wanted to install. I am running a Windows 8 virtual machine. With the update, the Start8 is now asking me for an activation key. When I installed Parallels, it said that it was free. Thoughts?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  2. ParaDo

ParaDo Bit poster

Same scenario here...

3. Patrick OLeary

Patrick OLeary Member

I submitted a support ticket.

4. shatterpaw

shatterpaw Bit poster

ditto. for Start8 and ModernMix both.

5. Ram@Parallels

Ram@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi All,

Both Start8 and ModernMix applications are provided by Stardock.

Please contact StarDock directly at http://www.stardock.com/support/ For support questions on StarDock installation, updates, and troubleshooting,

6. Patrick OLeary

Patrick OLeary Member

Clarify some things for me first:

1) When I installed, Parallels made a big deal about giving this to me as part of the installation. Was it only intended to work for 6 months? Or is it something you are offering forever?

2) This seems like something that is not only going to be an issue for me, but for every parallels user. I've bought every version for 5 years and have never used support. Could you do a little better for me than passing the buck to someone else? Perhaps you call and see what the issue is? Whether you and your partner (Stardock) could work it out and let us know the issue.

7. Patrick OLeary

Patrick OLeary Member

Joseph in support gave me a better answer.

Hello Patrick,

Thank you for contacting Parallels Desktop Support.
    Please uninstall the latest update of Start8 from the Windows Control Panel > Programs and Features; here is a link http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/uninstall-change-program you can read for steps to remove a program.

After removing Start8 you can reinstall it again by following steps on step number 2 found on this link http://kb.parallels.com/en/116716
    Do not update Start8 after reinstalling it.

Start8 is a third party application and if you prefer to use the update you need to purchase their license.

If you have any other question with your Parallels Desktop feel free to email us back or ring us anytime.
    Based on the resolution that has been sent to you, this case will be placed in the "Pending confirmation by customer" status.
    If this ticket has not been resolved to your satisfaction, please feel free to reply to this email within the next 14 days and we will contact you to continue working on the case. Your opinion is valuable to us, please fill in the survey which will be sent to you automatically as I change the status of your ticket. Parallels takes your feedback very seriously and each survey is reviewed carefully to identify and act on opportunities for improvement.

We really appreciate your time and consideration.

Kind regards,

Joseph Ledesma
    Technical Support Engineer
    Parallels

8. Patrick OLeary

Patrick OLeary Member

FYI, this also solved the ModernMix issue.