OS base install in Parallels Workstation 2.2

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Bb9too, May 24, 2007.

1. Bb9too

Bb9too Junior Member

Does anyone know if it's possible to install more than one OS, such as Windows XP, Windows Pro and Windows Media Center, on one VM or does each build need it's own VM? Thanks.

Last edited: May 24, 2007
  2. constant

constant Forum Maven

Ideally you need to create a separate VM for each OS installation.

Now I haven't tried this, or heard of anyone that has, but technically, given enough disk space allocated to the VM, you should be able to partition within that VM and create a multiple boot situation.

If you have a crack at that multiple boot thing, please report back with your outcome.

3. Bb9too

Bb9too Junior Member

Multiple boot

Thanks for the response. I will attempt it and will let you know if I am successful at it. Thanks again.

Jim

4. imike24

imike24 Bit poster

Thank this is what I am looking for :)

Mod: spam removed.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2007
  5. misterjangles

misterjangles Member

not sure

I think this would be interesting just as a curiosity as far as boot configuration. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. You would just install it the same as if it was real hardware.

But from a practical standpoint, aside from having one .hdd file as opposed to 3, i don't think there is any advantage. If you use expanding drives, the amount of space you use should technically be the same.

Having separate virtual machines, on the other hand, would give you some advantages of being able to boot at the same time, suspend one machine, etc.

6. Ynot

Ynot Pro

Yes it is possible, as on a real computer.

And misterjangles said absolutely right about all other :)