Parallels disconnects my printer.

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by barrygarsson, Jul 17, 2007.

1. barrygarsson

barrygarsson Junior Member

I think I finally narrowed down a "printer stopping" problem (HP Photosmart 2575) - here is what happens repeatedly:

Once the Parallels software is opened, the printer is disconnected from the Mac itself - that is, I cannot print, say, an e-mail that I bring up in the Mac itself (not in the VM). I then have to close Parallels, and run the HP Setup Assistant again to get the printer "connected." If Parallels is still open, the Setup Assistant does not "see" the printer.

It is a bit of a nuisance, since I often want to keep Quicken open and still print something from the Mac (non VM) and I cannot.

Can you comment and/or help me on this? Thanks again in advance.

Barry

2. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

See manual page 133 and set up your printer using Bonjour for Windows. This will set up your Mac as a print server and allow both puters to access your printer without disconnecting.

3. barrygarsson

Two questions:
    1) not sure what manual (p.133) you are referring to, is it available for download?
    2) I tried to use the Bonjour program, it is trying to reinstall the printer, but it asks for a driver which stops me cold:
    a) it offers me the choice of "have disk" etc. but my HP installation disk is for Windows only. I assume that will work from the VP but what about the Mac itself, doesn't the installation have to cover both computers to act as a print server?
    b) well, what do you suggest? I originally downloaded the driver for the Mac from the HP website. Do I have to do it again? Looks like I need to have that driver loaded in somewhere and ready for Bonjour to use.
    Thanks in advance.
    Barry

4. barrygarsson

Wait a minute, Purplish, did you say "...using Bonjour for Windows"? I didn't see that. I am under the impression that I need Bonjour for the Mac - are you saying that I should have installed Bonjour for Windows instead?
    Very confusing!

5. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

Yes, In your Windows XP VM, install Bonjour for Windows. (Your Mac comes from the factory with Bonjour already there. No need to install it!)

6. kennyL

kennyL Bit poster

Just taking a shot here, but are you using a VPN to connect to a corporate connection? If you are, that could be the problem. When you connect to a corporate IPsec tunnel, you get a new IP address from that server, effectively taking you off your home network. Thus, your computer can no longer "see" the printer.

I would do as others have suggested first (because its easy). Set up Bonjour printer using the Bonjour Printer Wizard (bonjour can be downloaded for free from the apple web site).

If that doesnt' work and you ARE using a VPN tunnel, there really is no fix, per se other than the following other possibilities:

1. Disconnect the VPN tunnel for printing sessions and the printer will be visible once again.

2. Connect the printer via USB and make it a "local" printer having nothing to do with the network.

3. Drag the files you want to print from the "windows" desktop to the Mac desk top and print them using a mac application. The printer should always be visible to the Mac applications.

Good luck

Kenny

7. barrygarsson

Sorry, should have replied yesterday ... the advice from Purplish was right on the money. I just didn't read the line that said "Bonjour for Windows" - and just kept loading the one for the Mac. Once the Windows version was installed, everything fell into place and I have a printer that works in both venues. Just hope I don't jinx it tomorrow by raving. Just kidding. Thanks everyone.