Strange video behavior in 3.0, latest build

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by swarf_rat, Jul 19, 2007.

1. swarf_rat

swarf_rat Member

I am running a CAM program called OneCNC, have been using it on 2.5 without problems. (Well, until 10.4.10 killed the USB dongle function anyway). Upgraded to Parallels 3.0, latest build, everything works well *except* the OneCNC toolpath simulations. In this, they open a separate window and animate the toolpath for a CNC mill. When it does this, all kinds of strange things happen: the window is very slow to open, the animation very jerky, the toolbars at the top and bottom of the window are in the wrong place and blink rapidly on and off, sometimes disappearing altogether, when the window is dismissed pieces of it hang around for up to a minute before they are refreshed away. None of this happened on several builds of 2.5. Everything else is identical. I have tried all the settings in the VM configuration I can think of. It happens in an OS window, full screen, various screen resolutions.

Any ideas? Just a bug in 3.0? Why would it be that different?

Edit: I should add, this is the older MacBook Pro, 10.4.10, Windows XP Home SP2

Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  2. swarf_rat

swarf_rat Member

Seems to be related to the update to OpenGL and DirectX. I can't get a screen snapshot because I get a warning that screen snapshots cannot be made while a program is open that uses OpenGl or DirectX. It must be OpenGL, because I can turn off DirectX support with identical results.

What are my options here? Uninstall 3.0 and go back to 2.5? Try the VMWare Beta?

3. AlanH

AlanH Pro

FWIW: You should be able to screenshot it using the Mac's command-shift-3 or related shortcuts if you run the VM in a window.

4. brkirch

brkirch Pro

Try disabling DirectX support if you have it enabled.

Most likely there is a process running in the background on Windows that is using OpenGL. Take a look at the processes running with Windows Task Manager and see if you can figure out which process is responsible.

5. swarf_rat

swarf_rat Member

There should be nothing else running OpenGL, but the app I am trying to run probably is. I can do a Mac screen shot, not sure it will aid any debugging. I gather problems with OpenGL under 3.0 are a known issue? Other threads have mentioned it. Seemed to work fine on 2.5, but the USB support kind of broke. 3.0 latest build seems to support USB reliably but OpenGL is broke.

Does anybody know if I can have both 2.5 and 3.0 installed? They seem to make assumptions about where things are stored and might run into each other. Don't need to run them at the same time, just need to downgrade to 2.5 and check 3.0 builds every so often to see if they have things working better.

6. swarf_rat

swarf_rat Member

I confirmed that there is nothing else running OpenGL.

A further curiosity: the screen shot that the Parallels bug-report pull down makes is not accurate. It shows the window as it should look. However if I screen shot with command-shift-3, the toolbars in the window are missing, which is as it actually looks.

I sent it all in, but I have never had a response from Parallels on any support inquiry or bug report.

7. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Did you tried to uncheck DirectX support in VM configuyration editor (on Video tab)?

8. swarf_rat

swarf_rat Member

Yes, same result either way.

9. Andrew @ Parallels

And what is you build number - 4128 or 4560?

10. swarf_rat

swarf_rat Member

Yes, build is 4560. I didn't try 4128. The program works fine on 2.5 builds 3188 and 3214 - except it is a very expensive program protected by a USB dongle. The dongle quit working with OSX 10.4.10 upgrade, so I went to 3214. This worked well enough to get by, with its own issues. So I upgraded to 4560 hoping that everything would be fixed. The USB seems to work, but the OpenGL is broken.

I have now downgraded again to 2.5 build 3214, and the OpenGL graphics are fine once more. I just have to be very careful with the USB which works if manually connected and disconnected *every* time, but begins to break things if I forget.

11. TAHARVEY

TAHARVEY Junior Member

I too am having openGl problems with CAD programs in 3.0.

THey need to fix their OpenGl implementations, and at least provide a checkbox to turn it off like you can turn off directX

12. Andrew @ Parallels

TAHARVEY,

Could you please give us exact versions of CAD programs which doesn't work for you in 3.0. And please specify exact Parallels build number - is it 4128 or 4560?

13. swarf_rat

swarf_rat Member

Andrew,

Any idea if the upcoming release addresses these OpenGL problems? I am limping along with 2.5 for now, but would like to reinstall the upgrade I paid for if it works.