Parallels Desktop 9 crashes on Yosemite DP 6

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by JulioC, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Tracom

Tracom Bit poster

Hi there, when I run the zip file it unzips but then disappear. Cannot get to the script part...

2. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Thanks for your suggestion, Robert! I sent it to the documentation team to possibly include it to KB.

3. Andrew@Parallels

Hi - what happens when you follow the KB article mentioned above?

4. Andrew@Parallels

Not sure what you mean... You run it before Parallels Desktop start and that's it - no need to run it several times during one session.

5. Don Sullivan

Don Sullivan Bit poster

This fix seems to get me rolling on 10.10 DP6 but it doesn't work on 10.9.5 (13F18) build that was released today. Exact same symptom was introduced there as well and no fix so far.

6. Andrew@Parallels

7. AnkurS

AnkurS Bit poster

Still Crashing after applying the workaround

I am running Parallels 9 and when I execute sudo /Applications/Parallels\ Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/Parallels\ Service.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_disp_service -e, it launches the service while returning the following:

WARNING: QApplication was not created in the main() thread.

After a few seconds it returns the following:
    QFileSystemWatcher::addPath: path is empty

Once I start parallels, the pro_disp_service process ends and I get the same error code as before.

8. D-an-W

D-an-W Member

I mean, do we have to leave the Terminal window open whilst we run Parallels as if I close Terminal, Parallel crashes.

I don't mean running the command more than once.

9. rbem84

rbem84 Bit poster

Like many of the users here, the workaround discussed in KB 122670 for Parallels 9.0.24237 does not work for me (I get the error messages in Terminal that are mentioned at the bottom of the KB). The related workaround mentioned in this thread, quickly re-executing the Terminal command, does, however, work for me. To simplify the process until a more permanent fix is released, I simply created a (very kludgey) shell script to do the workaround automatically. If it's of value to those of you for whom KB 122670 does not work, here's what the script does:

Simply sudo the script from Terminal, enter your admin password at the prompt, and it should successfully open Parallels. I've found that, if I kill the final process, Parallels crashes so you'll need to allow that process to continue running.

10. SharifA

SharifA Bit poster

Here ya go ...

Problem Report #s 48874012, 48884270

11. CapitalI

CapitalI Bit poster

Just had this problem start this morning as well -- first time I've had any issue with Parallels and the Yosemite beta... I've done the same thing as above, full uninstall, reinstall, gone through the logs looking for anything.. duplicate framework does look like the issue but I can find no easy fix. Lucky for us the Parallels team seems to be great at keeping us all working :)

Looking forward to a patch/beta/fix :)

edit: MAC OS 10.10 (14A329f)

12. JohnRav

JohnRav Junior Member

Yes, I would also like to know this. Can you quit terminal after Parallels launches?

13. kingrol

kingrol Bit poster

Do you think you could link that workaround to the error page you get (error 15381) when you try to start Parallels in this manner so that it's easier for people to find it.

And please an update soon with a re-signed helper app would be great.

14. kingrol

kingrol Bit poster

Yes if you tell sudo to put the process in the background. Add the '-b' option like so

sudo -b /Applications/Parallels\ Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/Parallels\ Service.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_disp_service -e

You'll return instantly to your command prompt and you can then close the terminal window. This will persist nicely until you close parallels, which will then kill the service you started, so you'll need to open another window and do it again.

15. JohnRav

JohnRav Junior Member

Thank you kingrol

Worked perfectly!

16. bizzleguizzle

bizzleguizzle Bit poster

So I added the -b from kingrol's post to your sudo commands and a killall Terminal at the end.
    That about does it until they fix the Gatekeeper Sig.

17. MasterPlucas

MasterPlucas Bit poster

Working as a temporary solution!

18. aferguson

aferguson Member

The work around, nor the script, work on 10.9.5 Build 13F18 (Released 18 August). A couple of reports sent, #48891433 was the last.

19. D-an-W

D-an-W Member

Exactly what was missing, thanks!

20. JohnRav

JohnRav Junior Member

Parallels 10 was just released as an upgrade to current users. I downloaded it, installed it and all is well again. You do have to pony up the upgrade fee, but that was expected. Now I am going to test it to see if I can install Yosemite as a VM.

Heres the link:
    http://www.parallels.com/upgradepd10/

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014