Parallels 10 and XP

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by RogerMo, Aug 20, 2014.

1. RogerMo

RogerMo Bit poster

I am still running Windows XP and quite happy with it. I am only running my accounting program under XP

The new Paralles 10 release does not seem to mention XP. Will this run under the new release, and are there advantages to upgrading?

Many thanks

2. Petr H

Petr H Bit poster

3. David_Moore

David_Moore Bit poster

I installed Parallels 10 and Yosemite on my 2009 Macbook Pro. Since then I cannot get my Windows XP OS to boot from Parallels ... it works fine if I boot directly to XP at start-up, but when I try to boot from Parallels, I get the error:

"Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware config problem.
    Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.
    Please check docs .. etc, etc."

An expert on the apple forums told me that this may be because Parallels uses it's own BIOS layer (not the Apple CSM BIOS layer) to boot, and it may not be compatible with the older XP boot loader. I don't see how that can be the case, since the Parallels 10 specs say that they are compatible with XP.

I really need a solution that does not involve re-installing my Windows OS, because I don't have access to the XP install media any longer.

4. mmika

mmika Pro

David, please submit a problem report data and share it's ID here.
    For me this issue is not related to BIOS.