Novell Netware 6.5 SP3

Discussion in 'Other Virtual machines' started by Parallels User, Jun 28, 2007.

1. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

2. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Doesn't seem they will for the time being. I bought VMWare fusion to do just that.

Eventually I guess they will do it, then I'll stop upgrading one of them.

3. ckeck

ckeck Bit poster

Any progress here? I would really like to run Netware 6.5 via Parallels...

4. rpetges

rpetges Member

I think Parallels primarly targets Windows users and support for all other operating systems is poor and sometimes non-existant :-(

You could try OES with the Linux kernel but I doubt they will ever support OES/Netware. I installed VMware Fusion for this and it works great for Netware.

Romain

5. fbronner

fbronner Pro

OES works with the linux kernel.

I have also installed VmWare for this, but it gives me problems when I have a session in parallel running and VMWare installed.

Usually it also means all of my DVD movies are not being recognized, while parallel is running and vmware is installed.

And if I start both Vmware and Parallel at the same time, eventually something dies and I have to restart the Mac.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  6. rpetges

rpetges Member

That's a known issue with Parallels kernel extensions and they're working on a fix.

I think that I will abandon Parallels and move to VMware Fusion. I already work with VMware ESX Virtual Infrastructure and VMware Workstation on Windows/Linux so I can reuse my VM's.

Since Parallels 2.5, they focus too much on integration and new features and really don't try to stabilize their product :-(

Romain

7. Ynot

Ynot Pro

rpetges, you are right. But in short time i hope we will change our focus back to the stability of our products.

8. rpetges

rpetges Member

Ynot, thanks for a Parallels reply. The problem is that you "hope" to focus back on stability, but I need it now. I really liked your product up to version 2.5 but v3 is a real nightmare. More and more questionable new features were added but the product itself is quite unusable, at least for me.

Everytime I contacted support, I got an automatically generated message and that's all. No reply, nothing. I even don't know if the Parallels team read my bugreports :-(

VMware on the other side is well known for stable and mature products. Only take a look at the PUBLIC beta cycle for VMware Fusion 1.0 ... it takes months but once the product is delivered, it works quite well. Believe me, I work everyday with VMware products (ESX VI, Workstation on Windows and Linux) and they rock.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2007
  9. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

10. rpetges

rpetges Member

No, the latest beta doesn't support Netware ... that's why I migrated everything to VMware Fusion.