Parallels 10 on Mac OS X 10.10 DP6 - All Windows Guest VMs Slow

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Markcub, Aug 21, 2014.

1. BrandonKnowles

BrandonKnowles Bit poster

Ive been having the same issue. I didn't notice it in the office last week as this is the only 10.10 b2 installation i have, but its eating 100% CPU on core 1 whenever windows is running.
    My windows 8.1 VM 32-bit is running terribly slow, and tried all above methods to get it back to normal including building a new VM from scratch with no resolution.

Parallels 10 on 10.9.4 seems to work pretty well with a 32-bit windows 8.1 VM though...so far so good on that unit.

Edit: Linux on both machines seems to be fine...

2. BrentSenile08

BrentSenile08 Bit poster

Have the newest update and it is still so slow and constantly flashes a black screen for 5-10 minutes at a time before showing the windows desktop again, then a few minutes later goes black. Launching something as simple as the start menu or task manager takes a solid 4 or 5 minutes, if it even launches before the screen goes black. Launching any useful application is out of the question. Completely unusable. Used parallels since 2008 when I got my first Mac, and looks like I'm going to be forced to go elsewhere now. Very disappointed.

3. Traveloguy

Traveloguy Bit poster

As I mentioned in a previous post, it looks like VMware users are having similar issues. I've not tried Virtualbox yet, but as the two main players in this space are having issues, I'd hold off a week or so before making any concrete moves. Hopefully (both) vendors will release a patch soon.

4. beta_danny.byrd

beta_danny.byrd Bit poster

Update still does not fix slow VM's

I just downloaded the latest release which is Version 10.0.1 (27695) and installed the new version and updated Parallel Tools. Still ridiculously slow VM's. Really don't understand how something like this can get out of Q&A. My VM's crawl !!!! I never found a link and check for updates always told me I had the latest but if you go and redownload the package it is the Version 10.0.1 (27695). Not that it fixes any thing though. Parallels please fix this quickly. I have downloaded VBOX and using all my VM's over there until Parallels decides to do something.

5. mikeruoc

mikeruoc Member

Yup loaded the new version and no change. Almost seems worse.

6. keithwarren7

keithwarren7 Bit poster

Since VMWare users started having similar issues is it possible a Windows Update caused the issue?

7. beta_danny.byrd

No Windows

No it is not a Windows issue. I have loaded a new XP VM, a new Windows 7 VM with no updates on either and both crawl. Run them in Virtual Box and they fly. Ran them on Parallels 9 and they run perfectly. Processor over 100% anytime a Windows VM is running under Parallels 10. Performance too slow to use.

8. jlm72

jlm72 Bit poster

It's definitely not just a Windows issue as now my Linux VM's are performing the same way. Thinking back now I was able to get P9 working in the latest Yosemite build with the same issues...

9. Markcub

Markcub Member

10. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi folks,
    We need more technical details on this.
    Please reproduce the issue and report the problem.
    Post your problem report IDs here. Thanks!

11. beta_danny.byrd

No ID

Sir, there are no IDs to report. The Windows VM's simply crawl. I have attempted this on 3 different Macs. An iMac, Macbook Pro, and Macbook Air. I have removed Parallels 10 on each machine and replaced with Parallels 9 and the VM's are as fast as they ever were. Only when you load Parallels 10 do the VM's crawl. Will Parallels 10, you can bring up Activity Monitor and you will see Parallels over 100% and sometimes up to as much as 200%. Click the start menu and 2 minutes later the menu comes up. You can put the blame where you want to but it is definitely in Parallels 10. I have tried a new install of a VM using XP and Windows 7 with no software loaded after the OS and everything is so slow it is completely useless. Parallels 9, Virtual Box and VMWare run great. Andrew there is a serious problem with Parallels and it needs to be fixed. Three different machines, with fresh copies of Parallels 10 and new installs of XP and Windows 7 yield the same results with Parallels 10.

12. ipjedi

ipjedi Bit poster

I have already called Parallels support twice and they still can't make my Windows VM's not crawl. I have installed a fresh copy of Windows 8.1 still slow. It was so much faster with Parallels 9. Then Parallels 10 really messed up everything. Please fix soon..

13. Ram@Parallels

Ram@Parallels Parallels Support

14. beta_danny.byrd

Latest Build Does Nothing to Resolve the Problem

The latest build does NOTHING to resolve the problem, and if you would read these forums, you would already know that. Please quit grasping at straws and blaming other things and fix the problem. Parallels 9 will run the same VM's fast and flawless !!!!! Parallels 9, VMWare and VBox run the VM's fine. Hello engineers and I use that term loosely, the problem is Parallels 10!!!!!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  15. mikeruoc

mikeruoc Member

It is the same build that was out a few days ago this does not help and has made it worse for me.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  16. keithwarren7

keithwarren7 Bit poster

FWIW - I reinstalled the latest PD10 and still had problems. Decided to try a brand new VM with a fresh Win8 install and things are running smoothly on that new VM now. Painful, but progress.

17. Digdug

Digdug Junior Member

On my latest gen MBP, I have found that Using all screens in full screen mode causes Parallels 10 to slow major. All bets are off when clicking into different windows or dragging a window from one screen to the other. Again, with P9, never had these problems.

18. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Guys, this is important step. Please help us help you - post your problem report IDs here.

19. marat_t

marat_t Pro

Hello guys,

Please also follow this article: http://kb.parallels.com/en/117114

There can be an issue with com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform kext that causes the interrupt storm. Please check if it happens on your machines!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  20. mikeruoc

mikeruoc Member

Yes I see that. See below. Is it safe to unload that or do we need to wait for a fix?

49 237616 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 237616 iMac12,2 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform