Parallels 10 for Mac won't install on 10.6.8

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by dutyhog, Aug 20, 2014.

1. dutyhog

dutyhog Bit poster

I have Parallels 9 on Mac OS 10.6.8 Today when I opened it I was invited to upgrade to Parallels 10, so I payed the fee and downloaded it. But up came a message that Parallels 10 for Mac won't install on 10.6.8

Is that a glitch in this early version 10, or has support for 10.6.8 been abandoned? If so can I get my money back for what was mis-selling?

Gordon

PS it takes an hour or more to download Parallels from my home, so I don't like to do that often.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  2. GodPierre

GodPierre Bit poster

I just joined to find out if 10 would run on Snow Leopard. There is no indication on the site as to minimum OSX system requirements.
    In my profession (over 5000 adjusters) we must still run on Snow-Leopard to operate our estimating software.
    I use parallels 9 to run Windows 7 as Win 8 won't function for our software. Guess I'm stuck with parallels 9 for another while.
    Please show minimum requirements on your site to avoid buying and then returning unusable software. I was just going to upgrade to 10 when I saw this thread.

3. Petr H

Petr H Bit poster

4. dutyhog

dutyhog Bit poster

Thanks for the very disappointing system requirements link. But it wasn't there when I ordered the download - I did search for something like it. I was notified by my copy of Parallels 9 that there was an upgrade for me, and such offers usually screen for a suitable operating system. For various reasons I, too, can't upgrade my system, so I'd like to know how get a refund.

5. Petr H

Petr H Bit poster

Yeah, unfortunately no Snow Leopard love with Parallels Desktop 10. Hopefully they'll at least extend the support window of version 9 because of this.
    To get a refund, try to follow this.
    EDIT: There's a "What is the Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac Return Policy?" page that seems to point to a better place as the 1st link leads to a support page that doesn't list Parallels Desktop product.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  6. dutyhog

dutyhog Bit poster

Unfortunately, Pete, that link led to a dead end - it assumed I'm a business user of software other than Parallels Desktop.

7. dutyhog

dutyhog Bit poster

OK, that link didn't get me far, but I managed to get to the right page another way, and now have a support request opened.

PS The moderator can delete my other message under approval.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  8. dutyhog

dutyhog Bit poster

Fortunately I was given a full refund quite quickly.

9. After Hours

After Hours Member

I use some apps that run only in 10.6.8 (Canvas X), so I run that in a VM with OSXS 10.6.

If your organization has a refresh cycle and you are worried about keeping older apps available for use. Of course, if Parallels could work with Apple to remove the legal blocks that keep 10.6 client from being installed as a VM (or 10.5, too), that would be extra cool.