Install Parallels Tools on Linux

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by fadrianoc, Jun 21, 2007.

1. waffle168

waffle168 Bit poster

Thanks fbronner.

2. telepo

telepo Bit poster

Yes, please do Fbronner. I am having the same problem. Help would be most appreciated!!

3. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Still working on it. Took a breather while installing the latest Leopard, and figuring out how to make Parallel work under it..

Now that I've got my parallel back working in leopard, I'll take some time to figure this one out :)

4. bergelmir

bergelmir Bit poster

Parallels Tools and Suse Linux

I installed Suse Linux 10.1 on my Mac Mini using version 3 of Parallels. After verifying that the installation worked I tried installing Parallels tools. Although the installation seemed to work I found out that as soon as I tried to change any important function in Suse, which requires super user access, the super user password no longer worked. I repeated the operation (making a backup the second time before applying the tools) and got the same result. One cannot remove the tools afterwards since this too requires root acces!

For now I'll run Suse without the tools.

Any suggestions?

5. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Do you really have to use SuSE 10.1? I'm using 10.2 and have not suffered from something as weird as that.

If you have a compelling reason to keep 10.1, I'm suggestion you make a backup, reboot your SuSE 10.1 session with the original CD/DVD and proceed to put back in a root password.

You should be able to find how to replace a lost root password in linux using Google.

6. bergelmir

bergelmir Bit poster

I finally got openSuse 10.2 and managed to get it working and even got the screen resolution I wanted but as to Parallels-tools it's a no go. I've tried both the Gnome and KDE setups but on choosing Install Parallels tools from the menu Suse insists on creating a blank cd and mounts nothing -- at least it doesn't crash!. (There is no cdrom in the media directory so there is nothing to run.) I tried Ubuntu and had no problem; it worked as advertized. But I would like to get the tools working in Suse. I've looked through the forum and saw that many have had this problem but I found no solution that works.

Note that I'm running version 3 of Parallels ant I think it's the latest build.

7. fbronner

fbronner Pro

For open suse do this after making sure you selected install parallel tools.

Open a Konsole session and type the following

sudo init 3
    sudo umount /media/cdrom
    sudo mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom
    cd /media/cdrom
    sudo sh parallels-tools.run
    sudo init 5

8. bergelmir

bergelmir Bit poster

Under Suse 10.2 (Gnome) After selecting install parallels tools and seeing "CD-ROM Disc" on the desktop, the first command "sudo init 3" (after asking for the root password) returns a "Command not found" message. The following two commands return "not found" messages and only floppy is in the media directory.

The previous version of Suse that I had (10.1) was a full blown Novell version with a real root account -- sudo not needed. In that version the disk mounted and you could issue the sh command but then it proceeded to wipe out the root access.

In 10.2 the inittab file in etc seems to indicate that runmode 3 cannot be used in tty because of something they did which may explain the first error message.

The bottom line is that I still cannot install Parallels tools.

9. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Wow,

Are you using OpenSuSE? Because the instructions I typed are the same exact ones I used when I upgraded my openSuSE 10.2 to the 4560 parallel tools.

There is something really weird with your system if it doesn't find umount and mount.

You can try booting directly to text mode by appending a 3 at the end of you boot line in grub. You could also not do the init 3 and init 5 and simply run the commands from a gnome console but then, you will have to logout and restart the x windows server.

10. bergelmir

bergelmir Bit poster

I'm running System 10.4.10 on a MacMini Intel duo core. Parallels is Version 3, build 4560. The iso file from which the installation disk was made is
    openSUSE-10.2-GM-DVD-i386.iso

Whether or not I skip the init 3 step, Parallels tools will not install. Since you said you updated your installation to 4560 do you remember what you were running when you initially installed SUSE 10.2? Was Parallels 2.5 or 3? Which build? That may be the problem. I Still have 2.5 on a cloned bootable backup and several previous Parallels builds. Maybe one of those would work to get some version of the tools in and then upgrade afterwards.

11. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Hi,

I installed that OpenSuSE on an old 2.5, I believe it was the second to last release of 2.5. So not the latest release for the initial install of the OpenSuSE.

The version 3.0 tools I installed which worked were the one before the 4560. I'll have to check if I already did the install of 4560 on opensuse. I know I'm having issues with the Kubuntu 7.10. I'll try it tonight and post back here.

12. fbronner

fbronner Pro

I have just redone it and this is what I used again. Make sure your CDROM is enabled in Parallel and not attached to a iso file

login as root

init 3
    << Selected install parallel tools in the Parallel Menu >>
    umount /dev/cdrom
    mkdir /media/cdrom
    mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom
    cd /media/cdrom
    sh parallels-tools.run
    init 5

Actually now I'm running a suse update on that 10.2 machine as since this is my oracle server I don't update it very oftne (its been close to 8 months since my last update).

But it is working fine.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  13. wschnaer

wschnaer Bit poster

I had the same problem with OpenSuse 10.2, and I tried the method listed by vamsireddy22:

mounting cdrom

1. mkdir /mnt/cdrom ( create empty directory)
    2. mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom (mount cdrom)

running parallels tools

1. sudo sh parallels-tools.run (installs parallels tools)

It worked like a charm. I probably was lucky, because I hadn't read down to the latest posts, and this appears much simpler.

14. bergelmir

bergelmir Bit poster

After taking into account that the first two commands also require root permissions (i.e. sudo) this worked.

Thanks, since this ends a frustrating journey.