Boot Camp XP partition not recognized

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by GregMP, Jul 14, 2007.

1. GregMP

GregMP Bit poster

Hi,

I'm going to try to contain my anger here over a piece of software that boasts compatibility with the Apple Bootcamp Beta.

I've had a WindowsXP SP2 partition running for just under a year, and balking at the idea of deleting the partition and reinstalling Windows XP, Autocad, and Rhino 3D, I opted for Parallels which I'd read as being able to increase partition sizes. So I buy it, load it, and find that this feature has been REMOVED!!! Now I just want to see if I can run my Boot Camp Partition from Parallels, nevermind setting up another virtual disk for Boot Camp to utilize, and what do I get?

More than one Windows partitions are found. This is not a standard Boot Camp configuration. Please refer to the Parallels Desktop for Mac User Guide, Using Boot Camp Windows XP Installation chapter for instructions on how to configure Parallels virtual machine in case of a non-standard Boot Camp configuration on your Macintosh computer.

There is only ONE Windows partition on my machine, this message makes no sense to me.

If anyone can explain how I can fix this, PLEASE let me know.

2. Yoyand

Yoyand Bit poster

And let me know also! My working Boot Camp WinXP partition cannot be recognized by Paralles Desktop3.0!!! Would anyone answer from Parallels WHY?

3. same

The same problem here.

"More than one Windows partitions are found. This is not a standard Boot Camp configuration. Please refer to the Parallels Desktop for Mac User Guide, Using Boot Camp Windows XP Installation chapter for instructions on how to configure Parallels virtual machine in case of a non-standard Boot Camp configuration on your Macintosh computer."

4. GregMP

GregMP Bit poster

The same problem has occurred even after upgrading to build 4560, however, after trying to boot with Boot Camp, the partition corrupted.

I've given up on Parallels, it's just been too much pain with zero gain. I'll try to find a sucker to pawn my license onto, otherwise I'll just take the $80 hit and forget Parallels exists.

This product, though its features like Coherence look nice, is a huge waste of time. Boot Camp is free and you get more speed and power from it. If you buy MacDrive and use it with Boot Camp, it's a superior solution in my opinion.

A thoroughly dissatisfied customer.

5. Mike@Parallels

Mike@Parallels Hunter

Hello,

Open Applications->Utilities->Terminal and run the "diskutil list" command. Send me result of this command via PM and your .PVS files please.

6. pb468

pb468 Bit poster

hi,

i've got the same problem as well.

should i send you the details?

7. GregMP

GregMP Bit poster

Sorry Mike, I've since had to reformat and repartition my machine. The Disk Utility program informed me that there was a node problem that couldn't be repaired, not even from the OSX install disc Disk Utility, and that I couldn't simply wipe the original boot camp partition and then reinstall windows, the entire disk had to be reformatted.

I no longer have the .PVS files you speak of.

8. tmartin

tmartin Bit poster

Mike,

I am getting the same error. Here is my output:

/dev/disk0
    #: type name size identifier
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *111.8 GB disk0
    1: EFI 200.0 MB disk0s1
    2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 90.0 GB disk0s2
    3: Microsoft Basic Data Untitled 21.5 GB disk0s3

9. Mike@Parallels

Mike@Parallels Hunter

Ouch, I dont think this problem is so popular.

Here is general solution:

How to boot from the Boot Camp Windows partition in case of the following error message:
    "More than one Windows partitions are found. This is not a standard Boot Camp configuration"

Required Steps:

1. Please open Finder, browse to Applications - Utilities, double-click on the Terminal appl. icon, type the "diskutil list" command and hit Enter. Please find the required Bootcamp Windows partition (e.g. 3: Microsoft Basic Data NO NAME 31.4 GB disk0s3) and note down the partition number and the disk number.

2. After that please open Finder and browse to Documents-Parallels and find the virtual machine .PVS file and open it by means of TextEdit and find the following line:

Disk 0:0 image = Boot Camp

3. Please change this line to:

Disk 0:0 image = Boot Camp;diskXsY

Where:

X is the number of the physical hard disk

Y is the number of the Boot Camp Windows partition

These parameters are shown by means of the "diskutil list" command.

4. Save changes, close TextEdit and double-click the .PVS file to start Windows.

Example:

The result of the "diskutil list" command is as follows:

dev/disk0
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *465.8 GB disk0
    1: EFI 200.0 MB disk0s1
    2: Apple_HFS Mac HD 434.0 GB disk0s2
    3: Microsoft Basic Data NO NAME 31.4 GB disk0s3
    /dev/disk1
    0: CD_partition_scheme *352.3 MB disk1
    1: CD_ROM_Mode_1 Mac Drivers 306.8 MB disk1s0
    /dev/disk2
    0: FDisk_partition_scheme *149.1 GB disk2
    1: DOS_FAT_32 CHAS 149.0 GB disk2s1
    /dev/disk3
    0: Apple_partition_scheme *90.3 MB disk3
    1: Apple_partition_map 31.5 KB disk3s1
    2: Apple_HFS Parallels Desktop 90.2 MB disk3s2

The line in the .PVS file should be:

Disk 0:0 image = Boot Camp;disk0s3

P.S. http://kb.parallels.com/entry/2/472/

10. brkirch

brkirch Pro

I've created a script that automates the process that Mike@Parallels described. If you have multiple hard drives you might want to set it as a login item so that the correct disk id is automatically added to the pvs file.

11. zenweb

zenweb Junior Member

I edited my .pvs and boot camp still won't boot. This is not the solution for my problem.

12. zenweb

zenweb Junior Member

This is NOT the solution for users who can't boot Windows from their Boot Camp partition! How do we resolve that?

13. jbcaro

jbcaro Member

brkirch, how do you use your script?

Do you just run it before running Parallels or some other method?

You say to set it as a login item. How is this done?

j

14. brkirch

brkirch Pro

Just launch the script while Parallels isn't running and it should show a list of your Parallels virtual machines. Select your Boot Camp VM. Then a list of all the virtual disks in your Boot Camp VM should be shown. Select the disk named "Boot Camp". After that you will be asked to select your Boot Camp partition, just be sure to select the partition itself (not a folder in the partition). Finally you will be asked if you want to launch Parallels, click "No". You need to keep the script, but you can put it anywhere you want. To add it as a login item, open Applications > System Preferences, click "Accounts", click on the "Login Items" tab, click on the "+" button, and select the script.

After that setup is complete you don't need to do anything, the script will automatically correct your VM configuration every time you restart or login, so you don't have to do it manually even if your disk id changes.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007