Cannot connect to any Microsoft site

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by tabhastal, Jul 25, 2007.

1. tabhastal

tabhastal Bit poster

This is a weird one that I just can't figure out. Running build 4560 with XP SP2 as a guest OS. Whenever I try to connect to any Microsoft site (microsoft.com, msn.com, windowsupdate, etc.) I get an error "The connection was reset". Doesn't matter whether I use IE or Firefox. The funny thing is - I can connect to any other Internet site! Is Microsoft blocking me? Anyone else have this problem? This problem started when I installed Parallels and XP and has been consistent. Not that I really want to visit M$, but I can't update Windows. I have searched this forum and the web for answers but haven't found anything.

p.s. I'm running Firefox from the Windows OS. When I run it from OS X I have no problems connecting to M$.

2. jgarcia@tdg-i.com

jgarcia@tdg-i.com Member

odd. have you trye to clear cache/history/cookies on your VM?

3. tabhastal

tabhastal Bit poster

I did with no success. Also, since first posting this I have installed Quicken and it cannot connect to any bank site to download transactions. Weird.

4. jgarcia@tdg-i.com

jgarcia@tdg-i.com Member

can you do anything else network related? Do you have any firewall setup on your VM?

5. tabhastal

tabhastal Bit poster

I can connect to Google and Yahoo. I'm also using IE within the VM to write this reply. I tried turning off Windows Firewall and also tried changing to bridged networking, but no success. Not using any other firewall. When I try to go to any M$ site it seems to find the site (I get "Web site found. Waiting for reply.") but then I get "The Page Cannot be Displayed."

(I was able to resolve the Quicken issue so it is not related)

6. agiannetti

agiannetti Bit poster

I have this exact same problem. I can access any site except Microsoft related web pages.

7. liedlein

liedlein Bit poster

I had the same problem and found a solution

using the proxy of my internet provider. Now everything works, I get all Microsoft sites and also Windowsupdate is working.
    greetings
    liedlein.

8. ReneS

ReneS Member

Same on all windows machine

Hi,

I also cannot connect to any MS site and my bank site. This is on an "normal" windows machine with IE. However with firefox I can access them. So I don't think it has anything to do with Parallels, but more with IE...

Rene