Time and Date in Suspended machines

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by Ray, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Ray

Ray Member

Is there any way in which a suspended os can connect with the system time and date to reset the date and time correctly when the os is activated. (Other than adjust date and time in case someone suggests it :) )

Ray

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Do you want to syncronize date and time with host PC or opposite - to retain old date and time?

3. Ray

Ray Member

Andrew,

I am looking to syncronize the date and time with the host pc. Currently when resuming a suspended host the date/time displayed is the date/time at the time of suspension.

The result of course is when resuming the guest os it's date and time is much earlier than the actual date/time. Old date/time doesn't seem to be particularly relevant to me, although it might be to others.

Regards

Ray

Last edited: May 1, 2006
  4. IscariotJ

IscariotJ Member

Isn't there something in the Tools to do this? Can't remember where I read it, possibly the user guide.

5. Andrew @ Parallels

Please install Parallels Tools in guest OS - it includes special time synchronization tool.

6. Ray

Ray Member

Andrew,

I was under the impression that the Parallels Tools were only available in Windows Guests. I'll check out my Parallels installation later but I don't think they are available for Linux/Bsd guests.

Ray

7. Andrew @ Parallels

Yes - you didn't mention your guest OS in your post. In case of Linux/BSD you may use some kind of network timesync utility.

8. Ray

Ray Member

Andrew,

Thanks for that reply :confused: is it more difficult for Parallels to provide a Tools version for Linux/Bsd guests than it is for Windows guests. This seems to be a Giant step backward when you suggest that everyone using Parallels with Linux/Bsd guests should devote time to 'find some kind of network timesync utility' to reset the clock function when a suspended guest is restarted.

Ray

9. Andrew @ Parallels

We are working on Parallels Tools for Linux guests and it will be available in future versions. But in current version you should use some 3-rd party tools for that - sorry :(

10. Ray

Ray Member

Andrew,

That made me feel a bit better.

Thanks
    Ray

11. RedwoodCat

RedwoodCat Bit poster

time synchronization

Any modern *nix implementation is going to include NTP. When NTP senses that the time is out of sync by a "large" amount (for some value of "large") it will reset the time in one big jump instead of slewing it over a period of time. You'll usually be able to do "man ntpd" to get a man page on this facility. You should be able to sync the VM to your host system's NTP server or to one on the net (e.g., time.apple.com).

Btw, it's possible for some applications to get a bit out of whack when the time jumps. This would be a general potential problem that would also apply to putting a system to sleep. Not unique to using VMs, I just mention it for completeness. An example would be statistics that are based on time, such as network bandwidth or disk accesses per second, where there's no mechanism in place (or utilized) to compensate for NTP jumps or system sleep.

Cheers,
    -Sam