Parallels 10 on Mac OS X 10.10 DP6 - All Windows Guest VMs Slow

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Markcub, Aug 21, 2014.

1. RobertWise

RobertWise Member

Well I never learn. I installed Parallels 6 on my present Mac in 2011 - i5 base model with 16 gig of RAM. I give it 3 gigs of memory and 1 CPU for first a Windows 7 then 8 now 8.1 installation. I upgraded from PD6 to PD8 and I'm now trialling PD10. Despite the promises of each iteration being faster than the last that's not my experience. When I click to start I get a black load screen for around a good minute followed by Windows desktop sluggishly finishing the boot procedure.

I would estimate give or take the odd few seconds that the VM is not in a usable state before 1 minute 50 seconds has elapsed. That was the figure in 2011 and it's still the figure today with PD10. Fortunately I have a clone of the VM taken before I started this trial, needless to say I will be going back to PD8 forthwith.

Given I'm not minded to update to Yosemite as I'm not keen on the UI then Parallels will not be getting any more of my hard earned cash. I've had enough of the hype that's never fulfilled.

2. GUISLAIN

GUISLAIN Bit poster

Yes it's a problem with ACPIPlatform.

3. HeliosG

HeliosG Bit poster

After doing a reinstall of Yosemite Beta 2, PD10 works fine. Not sure its any faster than PD9. The problem is that if I reboot my iMac for any reason, the ACPIPlatform problem returns. I leave my iMac on all the time now. I have not heard anything from Parallels team. I have also been sending feedback to the Apple teams. I am going to uninstall PD10, reinstall Yosemite Beta 2, then I will try PD 9 and hope its stable until a fix is found.

H

4. Markcub

Markcub Member

The ACPIPlatform issue came back for me!

I had installed things like Xcode 6.1 beta, iTunes update, and SwitchResX. I don't know if any if these are related.

Anyway, I reinstalled Mac OS X 10.10 DP 7 over the top of my existing install (keeping my settings and apps), and it 'fixed' it for now.

Again, Parallels: why so silent? I am glad the community created a workaround for you and took some of the heat off of you, but really? Nothing, no comment?

Cheers,
    Mark.

5. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

You can use this link to manually download the latest update.

6. HeliosG

HeliosG Bit poster

Thank you Andrew. Many of us have been running 27712 since the day it was released. The reversion does not address the problem we are having. This there any ETA in PD10.0.3??

H

7. Markcub

Markcub Member

I fully expected to see the ACPIPlatform issue rear its head again when beta 3 / DP 8 was released.

And yes, when I used the delta / patch to upgrade from DP 7 to DP 8 the ACPIPlatform issue came back.

No matter how many times I reinstalled the DP 8 patch or DP 7 -> DP 8 patch, the ACPIPlatform issue remained.

Out of sheer desperation, I pressed the Apple menu icon, and selected 'Sleep'. I let my machine go fully to sleep... then woke it up... and the ACPIPlatform issue vanished!

If I restart my Mac, the ACPIPlatform comes back. I just force it to sleep, wake it up, and it has gone! Is this an even simpler workaround?

Cheers,
    Mark.

8. AshotP

AshotP Junior Member

yup, same here.... DP8 out and same issue with ACPIplatform all over again..

i guess only installing full DP8 installer might fix it...

9. beta_danny.byrd

beta_danny.byrd Bit poster

Simple Fix

Mark,
    Really appreciate that tip. That got me out of the ditch once again.

Thank You!

10. Markcub

Markcub Member

I see the ACPIPlatform issue after a reboot without starting Parallels Desktop. It looks to me as if it is a fault with Mac OS X 10.10 Betas and Developer Previews and not Parallels Desktop 10.

I am going to raise it on the official Apple Developer Forums, and submit feedback via the Apple Feedback Assistant.

But it does look like forcing your computer to sleep after a reboot at least temporarily works around the issue.

Cheers,
    Mark.

11. CJHornster

CJHornster Bit poster

Hi,

I am considering to upgrade to PD10, but after reading this I dont know if I should wait or not. I have mavarick macbook pro 15 2014 2.2

12. GUISLAIN

GUISLAIN Bit poster

Still the same problem !!!

Still no solution ?

13. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi All,

Please Go to Virtual Machine Configure (http://kb.parallels.com/117287) -> General -> Change Configure for : to "Productivity"
    And let us know how it goes.

14. GUISLAIN

GUISLAIN Bit poster

Parallels is already configured to "Productivity".

No change...

15. JustMark

JustMark Bit poster

I'm having exactly the same issue. ACPIPlatform interrupts vary from 200k - 400k / second. I've tried Parallels in all the different modes to no avail. Running Yosemite DP8 and Parallels 10.0.2(27712)

16. GUISLAIN

GUISLAIN Bit poster

Same problem with OSX Yosemite Golden Master, so the final version.
    I paid for PD10 and I would like it to work...

Code:
     VECTOR  CPU#0   CPU#1   CPU#2   CPU#3   CPU#4   CPU#5   CPU#6   CPU#7   TOTAL   DEVNAME                 DRVNAME
        42      0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       IPIC                           
        46      0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       SMC                     com.apple.driver.AppleSMC
        48      0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       RTC                     com.apple.driver.AppleRTC
        49      210179  0       0       0       0       0       0       0       210179  iMac12,2                com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform
        4b      0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       HPET                    com.apple.driver.AppleHPET
        4c      0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       HPET                    com.apple.driver.AppleHPET
        4d      0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       MATH                           
        50      0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       P0P2@1                  com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily
                                                                                        GFX0@0                  com.apple.kext.AMD6000Controller
                                                                                        IGPU@2                  com.apple.driver.AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB
                                                                                        pci8086,1c3a@16         com.apple.driver.AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB
                                                                                        RP01@1C                 com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily
                                                                                        GIGE@0                  com.apple.iokit.AppleBCM5701Ethernet
                                                                                        RP05@1C,4               com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily
                                                                                        UPSB@0                  com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily
                                                                                        DSB0@0                  com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily
                                                                                        NHI0@0                  com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltNHI
                                                                                        DSB2@4                  com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily
        51      0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       HDAU@0,1                com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController
                                                                                        RP02@1C,1               com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily
                                                                                        ARPT@0                  com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros40
                                                                                        DSB3@5                  com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily
        52      0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       RP03@1C,2               com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily
                                                                                        FRWR@0                  com.apple.driver.AppleFWOHCI
                                                                                        DSB4@6                  com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily
                                                                                        SBUS@1F,3               com.apple.driver.AppleSMBusPCI
        53      0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       DSB1@3                  com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily
                                                                                        UHC1@1D                        
                                                                                        SATA@1F,2               com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort
        54      0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       HPET                    com.apple.driver.AppleHPET
        55      0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       HPET                    com.apple.driver.AppleHPET
        56      2       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       2       HDEF@1B                 com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController
                                                                                        EHC1@1D,7               com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI
        57      2       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       2       EHC2@1A,7               com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI
        70      0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       IGPU@2                  com.apple.driver.AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB
        71      0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       pci8086,1c3a@16         com.apple.driver.AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB
        72      0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       HDEF@1B                 com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController
        73      160     0       0       0       0       0       0       0       160     GFX0@0                  com.apple.kext.AMD6000Controller
        74      0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       HDAU@0,1                com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController
        75      48      0       0       0       0       0       0       0       48      SATA@1F,2               com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort
        76      0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       FRWR@0                  com.apple.driver.AppleFWOHCI
        77      0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       ARPT@0                  com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros40
        78      28      0       0       0       0       0       0       0       28      GIGE@0                  com.apple.iokit.AppleBCM5701Ethernet
        79      0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       NHI0@0                  com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltNHI
        d2      0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       LAPIC_NMI                      
        d7      0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       LAPIC_PM                       
        d8      0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       LAPIC_PMC_SW                   
        d9      0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       LAPIC_CMCI                     
        da      0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       LAPIC_SPURIOUS                 
        db      0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       LAPIC_ERROR                    
        dc      0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       LAPIC_THERMAL                  
        dd      222     374     19112   198     20922   178     27558   118     68682   LAPIC_TIMER                    
        de      170     192     364     236     396     476     418     176     2428    LAPIC_IPI                      
        df      0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       LAPIC_PERFCNT  

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  17. jlm72

jlm72 Bit poster

I've done a complete fresh Yosemite GM install as well, set P10 and configured to run under Productivity. I have 3 VM's, one Windows 8.1 Pro and 2 Linux Ubnutu. All three ran perfect until I restarted my Mac. Now all three are back to a crawl.
    I understand this Yosemite was beta (not anymore) but these issues are really becoming a serious problem. I've submitted reports, never heard anything back from Parallels and now we are at the point of Yosemite's release with no indication of a fix. I'm trying Fusion 7 now, if it works I'll consider switching.

18. jlm72

jlm72 Bit poster

Fusion 7 is behaving in the exact same manner. Houston we have a problem.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  19. Danny_Van_den_Heuvel

Danny_Van_den_Heuvel Bit poster

Oh my god, The problem has become bigger, after installing Yosemite GM I am not been able to go to hibernate mode, still goes to sleep mode, I tried everything into terminal sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 25 but same problem still goes to standard sleep mode.
    Now I have a real BIG problem, can't run windows anymore without any decent speed, Can anyone give me some advice, I am very disappointed because nobody from parallels team respond here! Hey Parallels Team! If you reading this ,are you forgotten your members? please tell us something, don't let us stay into the dark :(

20. Danny_Van_den_Heuvel

Danny_Van_den_Heuvel Bit poster

Installed Yosemite GM full install gives my back the possibility to hibernate, problem solved till now. :)