Help! Parallels 10 and Windows 8.1 hangs on login

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by LARWORLD, Aug 20, 2014.

1. LARWORLD

LARWORLD Bit poster

Someone please help. Just upgraded to v10 and now my existing Windows 8.1 VM will not let me log-in. I enter my credentials and then get the "Welcome" message with the spinning circle and then nothing happens. It's been over 10 minutes waiting for this to boot. I also tried shutting the VM down and it did succeed, but it took over 5 minutes to complete.

I tried resetting the VM and no luck.

Please help!!!!!!

2. Chris Connor

Chris Connor Bit poster

Sounds like a Windows problem. Can you boot into Safe Mode ok?

And do you have a backup of your VM just incase?

3. Greg.S

Greg.S Bit poster

Same problem here. I've tried a restart of my VM and a restart of my Mac, no luck. I've submitted a support request to Parallels CS.

4. Greg.S

Greg.S Bit poster

Safe mode boot works - it took a while to find a way to get to it because my VM boots too fast; the way I finally managed to get in was holding shift and pressing restart on the logon page. Not sure this is helping me work out the issue though other than at least I know the OS installation is still good.

5. Greg.S

Greg.S Bit poster

Safe mode with networking also works.

I noted upon login that I had my Mac desktop icons showing on my Windows desktop which I never had before. I launched the Parallels VM configuration window and unchecked Options > Sharing > 'Shared Profile' and 'Shared Cloud' and I'm now logged in and booted to my Win8 desktop.

Hope that helps someone else.

6. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

Thank you Greg for sharing it with us, we will share it with our Engineering team and will update here soon.

7. LARWORLD

LARWORLD Bit poster

FYI. Just installed the update to 10.0 that was released and the problem came back. So I turned off the Shared Profile and Shared Cloud options and it fixed it right up. There is definitely something wacky going on with those features.

Thanks.