Parallels 10 Dock Icon

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Gernot Leitgab, Aug 20, 2014.

1. ZivHen

ZivHen Bit poster

Dear Parallels Team, please make this configurable and add an option to hide the control center.
    There's not much use to it when you just have one VM.
    In that case it's best that parallels will automatically run that VM without launching the control center.
    It's also less convient to have one more app to go through when you do cmd+tab.
    Also, quitting parallels is now more work since in the past you could just quickly go to the menu and do quit (or use cmd+q) and now that only quits the VM and you you have to do additional work to close the control center.
    This is a step back from PD9 :-(

Robert Grether likes this.
  2. Priller

Priller Bit poster

+1

This is an unwanted and annoying "feature".

Need an option to make it go away.

3. Nicolas Fletcher

Nicolas Fletcher Bit poster

OK... maybe Parallels are tired of another +1 to this topic?

But, I was a Beta tester, and this functionality was NOT present in the last beta before release.

I use Parallels because I much prefer it to VMWare Fusion, and because I have to use Windows for many of my customers. But, I sometimes despair of Parallels' disregard for customers. What is the point of a beta program if you throw in last-minute stuff yourselves.

One of the beauties (more or less) of using a Mac and Apple software is the thought they put into the UI... not just the aesthetic experience, but HOW a user uses. So, please Parallels, please respond and tell us this will be configurable / removed in the next release.

4. El Greco

El Greco Bit poster

I'm adding my voice to the chorus. I've been using Parallels since v6 and for the first time, I'm thinking about downgrading back to 9.

Please provide an option to disable the separate control center window and the virtual machine dock icons. I want one Parallels Desktop icon in my dock, just like version 9.

5. meata><e

meata><e Bit poster

Yep, registered just to add my +1.

1. Let there be an option to turn off the new redundant icon - I'm gobsmacked no one thought of this prior to release!
    2. The "new" guest OS icon is buggy as all get up, I often end up in an alt-tab loop of frustration switch endlessly between the 2 icons.
    3. First I thought, oh cool, you can pin the new guest OS icon to your dock via the right-click 'keep in dock' option.... that is until you shutdown and reboot the guest OS and you end up with multiple guest icons, and the pinned one hangs around like a bad smell until you bin it... come on guys it's 2014.

6. jkwuc89

jkwuc89 Member

+1 - I agree.
    Please add an option to disable the per VM dock icon. It has no use for me. I only want one PD icon in my dock.

7. KorkyPlunger

KorkyPlunger Hunter

Another +1. The secondary dock is very annoying and confusing.

8. IevgenT

IevgenT Bit poster

Thanks for the reply from official support.

I understand the idea for the feature although the implementation brings some problems into UX. I am a user of only one VM in Parallels, so having one icon for Parallels host app and the VM instance was the best solution to me. Now having two icons in dock which are also the options in the switching windows menu (Cmd+Tab) that lead to the same window is a breaking bug. Because I need to press Cmd+Tab twice every time I want to switch to another Mac OS application from the current VM window. This is because both of the icons in menu lead to the same window.

Please advise how to deal with this?

9. JoergZ23

JoergZ23 Bit poster

+1 The secondary dock is very annoying and confusing. Need to press Cmd+Tab twice every time I want to switch to another Mac OS application from the current VM window.

10. LeBoomer

LeBoomer Bit poster

This is not a useful feature. I registered for the forum just to post this. I always run full screen, and used to enjoy command-tabbing back to the mac if needed. Now it's a frustrating game of command-tab-tab-tab-tab-tab.

11. mikezoom

mikezoom Bit poster

+1 more please add my name to this list and my anoyance of this new feature i just discovered after upgraging from version nine, at this moment io would ask for my money back as i see no difference in speed of version 10 to v9, sort it out will ya

12. ESSENCEV

ESSENCEV Bit poster

I was searching online for a way to disable the control panel and to my surprise there isn't one! Isn't it enough with the unwelcome advertisements? This may truly be the deal breaker between parallels and vmware.

13. gamecat

gamecat Bit poster

+1
    Please make this configurable.

14. VVakko

VVakko Bit poster

Absolutely agree!

15. MandonB

MandonB Bit poster

Adding my voice to the users that have already commented. It seems silly to need two dock icons for a single VM. I would imagine a large percentage of Parallels users only use a single VM the majority, if not 100% of the time, and the need for multiple dock icons for these users is nonexistent.

16. hamzajanjua

hamzajanjua Bit poster

THis need to be sorted quickly

17. Gamesurgeon

Gamesurgeon Bit poster

VM-specific icons should only appear (by default) if you have more than one VM open. If I only have one VM open (for example, Windows 8), then what is the point of switching between the Parallels icon and Windows 8 icon? This redundancy does nothing but mess up my workflow because command-tab-ing to the Parallels icon does not switch to my Windows 8 VM. It also creates unnecessary clutter for devs, such as myself, that already have scores of applications open. Please address this glaring UX issue.

Thanks!

18. SeanTManley

SeanTManley Bit poster

Adding to the petition…this is useful for a HyperVisor-esq mutli-VM manager but for the majority of Parallels users, we just want Windows to be able to run cleanly on a Mac without having to repartition our drives and boot to it through BootCamp. I don't want to manage multiple VMs. I want a clean Mac-based Windows environment without the added clutter.

I should be able to dock what I want when I want where I want without having to have the ControlCenter and my VM taking up valuable dock space—I have an 11" Air so there's not much available.

19. Malorkus

Malorkus Bit poster

Ditto, this is annoying. Just make an option to hide VM-specific dock icons.

20. RobertWise

RobertWise Member

I agree it's just so unnecessary. However, I doubt the Parallels team will do anything about this issue. It's been my experience over the last 4 years that nothing ever happens. It is for that reason that I have used my PD clone and gone back to using PD8. I know it's not going to work with Yosemite but seeing as I'm in no rush to adopt that particular OS then PD8 will do just fine.

Another point I found was that despite the claims PD10 is so many % faster than version X, I didn't really find any real world difference.