XP is XPoop in Parallels!

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Hogleg 44, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Hogleg 44

Hogleg 44 Junior Member

The Windows opening chime happens 4 minutes after the OS is active! It crashes a lot! I can't Drag and Drop! I can't Copy and Paste! So I can't move files around! I can't access Win Update in IE6! The page loads up blank, saying Done in the bottom progress bar! I can't install from a CD cause XP can't find the windows installer. I can't get a new installer cause I can't get to MS updates in IE. I can't even get to SP2 to see if that will fix things...and I have that on a CD no less! The CD won't run! It opens, but it won't run!

Win XP Pro SP1 is XPoop in Parallels......And I have the latest version of PD too! I think I even managed to get the Tools installed! Even though they kept stalling. Trying to Error Out!

(Brand Spankin' new Mac-Pro. Dual 3.0 dual core, lots and lots of Ram and scads of HDD space. And Tiger works great...!

If only I could drag and Drop....but how to turn it on?

2. DerekS

DerekS Member

XP is XPoop everywhere. It is, after all, Windows.

3. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

4. Hogleg 44

Hogleg 44 Junior Member

Thanks.
    I have about decided to delete the problematic VM and start over from scratch and see what happens. I will keep a bookmark of that page just in case. This is a 2 week old machine only a few apps loaded on it so far, and a new copy of PD v3, that I bought when I bought the Mac, so I wouldn't think that this is caused by OS X, and most likely not Parallels, but somehow a bad install of XP. I only had 2 of my programs loaded on XP so far, and reinstalling them is no problem at all. Hopefully, just starting over will create a better experience?????

5. Hogleg 44

Hogleg 44 Junior Member

Well...That was three hours of wasted time. Deleting and reinstalling just went from bad to worse!!! I even properly uninstalled Parallels and reinstalled to get it working, rebooting the Mac with each step...to no avail. The XP installation hung (stopped) numerous times, and had to be restarted by myself, then it restarted itself frequently, finally restarting over and over in a never ending cycle. That's when I said "ENOUGH!" and deleted that VM and uninstalled Parallels...!

Parallels is Poop now too, from my point of view.

Maybe trying Boot Camp is my only means of running Windows! I have some old windows programs that I really like!

Paul

6. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

When you want to try Bootcamp you need Windows Xp with SP2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you use winxp sp2 ?

7. Hogleg 44

Hogleg 44 Junior Member

Yep! I know that now.
    No SP2. I'd have to buy it.

8. Arr MiHardies

Arr MiHardies Bit poster

you shouldn't need to buy it. if you have access to an exisiting windows pc, there are ways to burn a copy of a windows xp install cd containing SP2, given you have a full install version of windows. its called slipstreaming...
    this page explains how to do it
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

9. Hogleg 44

Hogleg 44 Junior Member

Hey! Thanks! I'll see what I can do with this. I have plenty of XP PC's around.
    My Son is a professional programmer, so I may get him in on this with me. He will probably be interested in this himself....If I can get him away from his kids long enough!! :)
    Thanks again,
    Paul