Parallels blowing up after starting Windows XP

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by morwen, Jul 30, 2007.

1. morwen

morwen Member

This just started today. I launch Parallels and then I launch my XP vm, and it loads up Windows, but before Windows is quite done loading, the whole thing goes poof! Help!

Console log:

2007-07-30 12:11:34.803 Parallels[420] CFLog (0):
    CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): plist parse failed; the data is not proper UTF-8. The file name for this data could be:
    /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleScript.framework/Resources/English.lproj/LocalizedDefaults.plist
    The parser will retry as in 10.2, but the problem should be corrected in the plist.
    2007-07-30 12:11:46.862 Parallels[420] CFLog (0):
    CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): plist parse failed; the data is not proper UTF-8. The file name for this data could be:
    /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleScript.framework/Resources/English.lproj/LocalizedDefaults.plist
    The parser will retry as in 10.2, but the problem should be corrected in the plist.
    2007-07-30 12:11:47.095 Parallels[420] *** -[NSCFString count]: selector not recognized [self = 0x1cca78b0]
    2007-07-30 12:11:47.095 Parallels[420] *** Uncaught exception: <NSInvalidArgumentException> *** -[NSCFString count]: selector not recognized [self = 0x1cca78b0]
    Jul 30 12:11:54 depressed crashdump[434]: Parallels crashed
    2007-07-30 12:11:54.533 VirtueDesktops[345] An instance 0x15d8ed30 of class PNApplication is being deallocated while key value observers are still registered with it. Break on _NSKVODeallocateLog to start debugging.
    Jul 30 12:12:06 depressed crashdump[434]: crash report written to: /Users/lam/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Parallels.crash.log

I also have the Parallels crash log, but I think its a little long to post here, so I file attached it. Or not, apparently its too long and the forum won't accept the file attachment. :(

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  2. morwen

morwen Member

So I tried this fix, even though it didn't seem applicable seeing as how I'd been running XP with Tools since this version of Parallels came out with no problems.
    http://macwindows.com/parallels.html#070907b

When I rebooted after the reinstall of Tools without the program sharing, started Parallels, and it blew my Mac up with the international "your screwed, reboot" black box of death.

So, I rebooted. Launched Parallels, it gave me some kind of error allocating memory, made me restart my Mac again and try again. So, I rebooted again. Launched Parallels. Got an error: RUNDLL Error loading C:\Program Files\Parallels|Parallels Tools\PrlSAShellExt.dll The specified module could not be found.

I am now going to try reinstalling Parallel Tools AGAIN to see if that fixes that. Argh. I have never had any problems with Parallels before. :(

3. morwen

morwen Member

Nope, that didn't work. Still getting the RUNDLL error. Anyone got any ideas?

4. morwen

morwen Member

So, I found this thread:
    http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=14678&highlight=PrlSAShellExt.dll

Made sure smart select was off. It was, no good there. So I reinstalled Tools again, made sure Application sharing AND Favorites was off. Rebooted a couple times to make sure, and yup. Now that RUNDLL error is gone. Oddly, I still have a Parallels Shared Applications folder in Windows, and its still launching OSX programs. I would have thought that would have been gone or not work if I didn't reinstall Application sharing in Tools?!