Desktop Effects in Ubuntu//Beryl??

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by fromans, Jul 6, 2007.

1. fromans

fromans Member

It would be nice to know if the video driver provided by the Parallels Tools would support either of these features. I know the video card in my MacBook Pro has more than enough horsepower to handle it. If they can add DirectX support for Windows, then this should be doable in Linux. Can I get a comment on this from a moderator?

2. fromans

fromans Member

I was hoping to see at least some response to this question. This thread has been viewed 300 times but not one response. Very disappointing. :(

3. bruckwine

bruckwine Junior Member

I was wondering that myself.... it seems there is a need to upgrade the ubuntu driver to handle the nvida/ATI power..but I'm not sure if the parallels mahine will allow that....

4. wschnaer

wschnaer Bit poster

I have tried to enable Desktop Effects in Ubuntu and been unable to. In addition, an attempt to install the NVidia Driver resulted in an error. (I have an IMac with Core 2 Duo processer and 128 meg NVidia graphics card). I figure I'll have to wait for Parallels 4.

5. Relan

Relan Parallels Developers

Unfortunately it is impossible to run Compiz or Beryl or any other 3D application with hardware acceleration in Linux guest. We are not going to support this feature in the near future.

6. bruckwine

bruckwine Junior Member

:( boo? So no way to test these effects w/o actually installing the OS on a PC for real?

7. fromans

fromans Member

Apparently so. I'm starting to get the feeling that Linux is the ugly step child of Parallels. They haven't even updated their Workstation for Windows/Linux since November. It's starting to look like they are only focused on running Windows from a Mac.