prl_disp_service running cpu 100% all the time

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JorgeAlfonso, Apr 21, 2014.

1. JorgeAlfonso

JorgeAlfonso Bit poster

Hi
    After updating to Build 9.0.24229 my cpu is running at 100%. The service that is running at 100% is prl_disp_service.
    My fans are running all the time and my battery life is horrible. My mac OS X version is 10.9.2
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have run the parallel tools already with no success to my problem.

2. Maheesh@Parallels

Maheesh@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

3. JorgeAlfonso

JorgeAlfonso Bit poster

I have done all of the above and I am still having the same problem. I also generated a problem report ID and no response. I also sent a private message and no response

4. JorgeAlfonso

JorgeAlfonso Bit poster

Still waiting for help

5. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi JorgeAlfonso,

Please check your private message.

6. kbern3

kbern3 Bit poster

Same problem on OSX 10.10 (Yosemite) and Parallels vers. 10

I just purchased and installed Parallels vers. 10.0.2 (27712) and am running it on Max OSX Yosemite (10.10) and I am seeing the *exact same* problem this poster describes.
    Yesterday (the first day I installed it) things seemed fine, but today I am at 100% CPU for prl_disp_service, causing my mouse to jump all over the place, fan to run all the time, and whole system to be generally jerky/choppy.

7. matt-bland

matt-bland Bit poster

Same problem here. PRL_DISP_SERVICE running at 200% to 600% on my iMac under Parallels 9. Upgraded to Parallels 10 and still happens just the same. Sometimes it drops to 3% then shoots up to over 100% and stays high just keeps spiking taking over extra CPU cores. Shutting down the VM and restarting doesn't solve the issue. Shutting down the Mac and restarting will temporarily fix the issue until I need to do some work again then it freezes up. The VM is showing as using 2% to 3% CPU itself and even with no other apps open on OS X it crawls to a halt and becomes severely unresponsive. I've submitted reports using the Parallels application and checked out console.app for errors but nothing appears to be recorded in the logs as to why this is happening.

8. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi All,
    Please send me a private message with a problem report ID(s). Make sure detailed logging is on:
    1. Click on Parallels logo at the top right side of the screen > Preferences > Advanced > Troubleshooting > check Use detailed log messages
    2. Generate a problem report as suggested at http://kb.parallels.com/9058
    3. Send me a private message with your problem report ID and link to this thread (which is http://forum.parallels.com/threads/prl_disp_service-running-cpu-100-all-the-time.301581/ )
    Thanks!

9. ErikT

ErikT Bit poster

I am having the same problem on Parallels 11 (latest release) and OS X 10.11

10. Please try the following steps:

1.Quit from Parallels Desktop
    2. Open Terminal.app and

execute these commands:

cd /Users/username/Library/Logs/CrashReporter

tar czf ~/Desktop/MobileDevice.tgz MobileDevice

mv MobileDevice MobileDevice.old

where username is the name of your Mac user.

3. Open Parallels Desktop and check the issue

11. ErikT

ErikT Bit poster

Thanks for your answer. I have followed the steps above and just when I started one of my Parallels VMs (Windows 10 Enterprise) it started consuming CPU but now it is more normal. I will keep you posted if it changes. Have a nice weekend. BR Erik :)

12. Thanks for the info! Have a nice one!:)

13. ErikT

ErikT Bit poster

Just an update. I have not had any problems since I did the above. Thanks a million :)

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  14. Great!

15. MichaelS9

MichaelS9 Bit poster

I just bought upgrades for my laptop and my desktop. I run them both at native resolution - the iMac at 5120x1880, the laptop at 2880x1800.

I need to run Yosemite in the VM for client work. After installing Yosemite and parallels tools in both (laptop, iMac), the screen rendering in the window is incredibly slow. The login screen for the VM/guest can take 2-3 minutes to refresh after typing my password. You can see the screen is rendering top to bottom very slowly.

I noticed prl_disp_service running and using 200-300% of the CPU almost continuously. I followed the instructions in the post above and that did resolve the CPU usage issue, but the rendering is still unbearably slow. Dragging the app store window around in the VM is jerky and not a great user experience.

Now I notice pr_client_app is using 40%+ of the CPU all the time (while installing Xcode, doing the download part, not the CPU intensive bits).

I did file a ticket for this in the bug tracking system.

Also, I have assigned 16G (of 32G in the machine) to the VM and 4 CPUs and 256M of video memory.

16. ChristianH6

ChristianH6 Bit poster

I am running Parallels 11 and OS X 10.11.4 I tried to use the steps above, but receive a 'Failed to Open' for the MobileDevices instruction.

17. JohnZo

JohnZo Member

Having the same problem but there is no such folder on my system - macOS 10.12.6, Parallels 13.0.0 on a 2016 MacBook Pro. prii_disp_service currently consuming over 100%, sometimes up to 179%, with Parallels Desktop closed. Measured with latest version of iStats Menu. Fans running t approx 4200/4000 rpm.

Is there a similar fix for macOS 10.12?

PS Running this in terminal:
    sudo launchctl stop com.parallels.desktop.launchdaemon
    stops the service and allows the internal temperatures to be more reasonable. It seems a subsequent start of Parallels Desktop starts the service and operates the VM's ok, albeit a bit more slowly to start.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  18. JohnZo

JohnZo Member

Don't know if anyone is monitoring this thread but...

I run the above terminal command whenever I close Parallels Desktop. The fan speed drops down to a reasonable 2200/2000 rpm and the region of the MacBook above the toucher is much cooler. I wonder if this is an issue when the LG UltraFine display is connected and the discrete Radeon graphics controller is active?

19. BrianT5

BrianT5 Bit poster

I had the same horrific problem the other day. The terminal commands just returned errors so I simply reinstalled Parallels SEVERAL times, rebooted SEVERAL times and now all is back as it should be.