Parallels USB Problem

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Mara, Jun 19, 2007.

1. bobk

bobk Bit poster

upgrade/usb issues

Good day,
    First post and I am hoping this is the thread I need. I recently upgraded to 3.0 and now my mbpro cannot log into Windows XP because the ctrl/alt/delete keys will not work except with a usb mac desktop keyboard. Hopefully, a common, easy fix is available?

2. legacyfarm

legacyfarm Bit poster

iQue 3600 & USB PROBLEMS-HELP!!!!

Hi,
    Well I guess I don't have to type my problem out now. It is EXACTLY the same problem, I have. EXACTLY! I even uninstalled the 3.0 and put the last version thinking it would work. No soap. I got windows and parralles for my Mac Book Pro just so I could use my iQue 3600 and download the stupid maps. Geez Louise. I guess I'll have to go to a friends house on thier PC and do it. I'm ready to give up. I hate WIndows. Took me over 5 hours to get it up and running. And it really slows down my Mac Book Pro and freezes it too.
    What is all the press about if we are all having the same issues with this thing not working?? Please if anyone has a fix please post it. I need to use my GPS because I get lost in the rural area of NE Iowa I live in.
    Cheers,
    Katy:confused:

3. Juliet

Juliet Bit poster

I am having the same exact issue, however, Parallels no longer sees my HP Printer.... after I upgraded to 3.0 - anyone having that issue???? It only sees my Apple devices, like keyboard, mouse, etc.....

4. Farid

Farid Bit poster

hey,

i have the same problem with paralles 2.5 build 3188. when i try and plug my GPS into the USB i get that error and don't know what to do.

5. rklutts

rklutts Bit poster

I too have had the same problem of Windows telling me that the usb device is in use by another application since using version 2.5. Same problem with 3.0. I sometimes got it to work but don't know why it worked once in a while.

Ron

6. Ankou

Ankou Guest

Hello Farid
    You have to update you Parallels Desktop to build 3214
    go to Help->Check for updates
    or use this link

7. w7ox

w7ox Hunter

8. Pmoscoso

Pmoscoso Bit poster

Tried that fix and still got the same old message that there is another application using the USB port. I am using Parallels 3.0 with Windows Vista instead of XP.
    Pedro:mad:

9. Pmoscoso

Pmoscoso Bit poster

USB problems.

I found a solution:D Get rid of Parallels and move to VMware Fusion. No USB issues, very fast and no black screens.
    Pedro:)

10. markand

markand Bit poster

I'm having this same problem and none of the above fixes worked.

Parallels 3.0 build 3214
    Mac OSX 10.4.10

As with others, everything was working fine until upgrading to 3.0

11. HHiller

HHiller Bit poster

Ankou,

You saved my computer life yesterday with the link to 3214. I have spent several terrible wks tring to deal with USB issues, & am now cured. Had read about 3214 before, but was unable to find it on the website.

Now if you can advise me how to get a refund re 3.0 purchase last mo, which I did before I realized that I had purchased 1 yr free upgrades Xmas '06.
    I have heard that I should receive a free 3.0 upgrade, but that has not materialized. Have Emailed Parallels & the blog, to no avail.
    Any ideas?

Herb Hiller

12. Kazzi

Kazzi Bit poster

Same issues here too. Parallels 3.0 build 4560 on an intel core duo iMac at 10.4.10.

It worked once and then I get the same error about the device being used by something else. The device is a TomTom 910.

I upgraded to version 3.0 in the hope to fix this issue.

13. rinconj

rinconj Member

Before a recent update to Parallels 4560 and migrating my work from a MacBook to a MacBook Pro, I've been using Parallels to run TI's CCS( code composer studio) over win XP and control a dsk6455 through USB. On earlier combinations, once in a while the USB device could get disconneced, but I could always reconnect the device through CCS in win XP.

On 4560 however, once CCS can't access USB device , forcing it to reconnect again will cause it to hang. The only way to make CCS see the device again is disconnect and connect it again through Parallels' devices -> USB menu.

So apparently 4560 is having problem maintaining a USB connection.

14. rinconj

rinconj Member

It appears my USB problem has something to do with an external firewire/usb drive that parallels VMs are stored. When I just had that recent 4560 update, that external drive was connected through USB and therefore compete with parallels' USB bandwidth. Now the external drive is connected through firewire link and it seems to be much more reliable now.

15. stevefinlay

stevefinlay Bit poster

Hi

I get this message when connecting my USB device.

USB Device you are trying to connect to the virtual maschine in being used by another application. Close that app. or unplug the device and plug it again. Then try to connect the device again."

I am using a Smarthome Powerlinc V2 USB 2414U. This was working perfectly in parallels until I upgraded to OSX 10.4.1. I have upgraded to build 3214, but still no joy.
    I have tried everything suggested on the FAQ and forums i could find, including turning off auto detect USB device etc.etc.....

16. dazman

dazman Bit poster

Os X 10.4.10

Hi,

I also have the same problem. Everything was working perfectly until OS X decided to upgrade to 10.4.10. Now USB does not work !!!!!!!!!

I don't really want to upgrade my Parellels version because I don't understand anything about it and I'm worried about my data. However if they know the issue with 10.4.10 (8R2232) I'll give it a go

17. stevefinlay

stevefinlay Bit poster

USB fault with OSX10.4.1

I was able to solve the problem by doing a reapir permissions then uninstalling parallels, doing a reapir permissions again and re installing version 3214, including installing the tools.. There is a thread about this on the forum which gives you detailed instructions on how to uninstall and re install. All USB problems were resolved for me.

18. dazman

dazman Bit poster

Was it

http://forum.parallels.com/archive/index.php/t-13585.html

This is scary - I'm playing with the virtual disk image (which I completly don't understand) to just fix a USB problem. Can Parallels not work with the Mac OX10.4.1 image and just provide a patch to give us USB back!

19. moeremans

moeremans Bit poster

Hi Folks, got the same problem with a USB SMART CARD READER...... Parallels 3 4560 MAC OS X 10.4.10

20. jtodd

jtodd Bit poster

I, too, have this problem. I'm just trying to connect a simple USB-to-DB9 serial adaptor so that I can talk to equipment whose makers supply Windows-only programs for machine control.

I have never had good luck with any version of PC software on Macs for this purpose, and this problem now really just tells me I should abandon any type of Mac-based applications that try to run Windows unless I'm just running "solitaire" or "minesweeper".

I've tried the tricks in other threads - no luck. I've killed every possible app on MacOS that might talk with the serial port, but still no luck. Zterm.app talks just fine to the serial port, so why not Parallels? Frustrating.

JT